04 injector solenoid leaking rail pressure

BigYellowIron

Diesel Tech
Have a customer who has a 04 that died and would not start. Hooked up to it and it would not build rail pressure. Pulled valve cover and found number 6 solenoid was cocked and spraying fuel out when cranking. Customer then tells me he had the FCa unhooked trying to get it to start, I thought that may have been the cause of the injector. He decided he wanted to replace the injectors and the cp3. He ordered dtec injectors and some off brand cp3. I installed them with new supply lines and high pressure lines. Got the truck running and watching rail pressure on my snapon scanner and rail pressure never rose above 11k when I was warming it up at 1500 rpm. I let the truck idle and then it started coughing blowing white smoke and died. No rail pressure again. Pulled valve cover and number 2 injector has the solenoid crooked and leaking. The engine never changed sounds like high rail pressure. What could I be missing. Customer had already replaced the sensor and relief. I would like to have thought that I would have heard some kind of a fuel rattle if the pressure went way up. Anyone have any thoughts????

Does it have a PRV or block off ? Fuel return fitting on back of head plugged somehow?
Contact Todd at T&C Diesel he's a wealth of info!

That relief valve is only there to retain minimal fuel pressure in the head so that the rifling in the head does not corrode. The rifling is there to provide a return path for fuel system leakage.

In CM2350 engines, the crack pressure was changed to add buffering for the pintle/seat of the injector, to reduce wear.

Ultimately, the pressure there has to appear due to leakage, so if you have enough fuel there to change how it runs, you have another issue.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The guy had been running vegetable oil in the past so the whole fuel system was coated with a film. I changed everything but the return line on the back of the head. ������. Oh well learn something new everyday

Thanks

Ultimately, the pressure there has to appear due to leakage, so if you have enough fuel there to change how it runs, you have another issue.

But even brand new injectors have some return rate, they're never air tight. So there's always gonna be some fuel returning from the back of the head. Makes me wonder though, if the back pressure was enough to blow 2 solenoids, how much beating did the rest of the injectors take...

But even brand new injectors have some return rate, they're never air tight. So there's always gonna be some fuel returning from the back of the head. Makes me wonder though, if the back pressure was enough to blow 2 solenoids, how much beating did the rest of the injectors take...
Right. I was trying to articulate that yes, there is case drain leakage (how the rifling fills) but if there is so much that you have a running condition, there is another problem.

That's why I was curious about too much pressure and it's effect on the injector.

glad i read this, i have never come across this issue personally/

Back