04 ram 2500 stumbles and stutters

jrshipper

I have an 04 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 common rail. Just started having a problem with the engine losing power and stumbling while accelerating. What would cause this? Sometime I can catch it and keep it running by feathering the throttle. Other times the engine just dies. Then it takes a while to start back up like it is starving for fuel. Replaced the fuel filter and in tank fuel pump. There are no codes showing up so I don't know what else to do or to check next. Any hell would be appreciated.

Things that need to be checked first.
Rail pressure and lift pump pressure.

No codes are showing up. Just replaced the lift pump

Have you checked the pressure? Just because something's new doesn't mean it's working properly.
Could be an obstruction in a line, sucking air, etc etc.

I'll check it again but it started this problem before I changed the lift pump and filter. It was driving great down the highway. Could feel a slight surge or stumble when accelerating and reached around 30-40 mph. Then the next day did the same thing and that's when it died on me and was hard to get started again...

I'll check it again but it started this problem before I changed the lift pump and filter. It was driving great down the highway. Could feel a slight surge or stumble when accelerating and reached around 30-40 mph. Then the next day did the same thing and that's when it died on me and was hard to get started again...

It could be a multitude of problems... It's gonna take for sure diagnosing. Knowing the fuel pressures would be my first step.

Look at the wiring harness under and around the AC compressor. The routing let's the harness get damaged and the shorted wires can cause what you're describing. I think you have to look up from underneath

Back