05 electric 4wd problems.

Ja564rm80

I have a 05. I had the truck down to the bare frame. Everything is back on and truck is running. I have put a little over 500 miles on since putting it back together. Only have one light on, on the dash. Service 4wd. It’s an electric transfer case. I just started digging into it some. I have zero power to the knob on the center counsel. Kinda looking for where power is suppose to be coming from? I have no indicator lights ( lights above the knob to know what I’m in). I took it apart and tested every wire with no power to any of them with truck running. Does it get power from the TIPM? Thanks for any help!

But a 05 doesn’t have a TIPM. Isn’t it a BCM (body control module) mounted to the front left frame work under the fender?

Last edited:
Actually, it's called an "IPM" on the 2003-2005 Rams, but who's actually keeping track? :hehe:
It's the silver box attached to the end of the fuse box, beside the driver's battery.

Mark.

Last edited:
Ok so I haven’t had much time to dig into the 4x4 problem. I did just replace my fan clutch. While checking cel lights I got a weird code. P073. Description unknown (according to my scanner). I was also able to see that when I did a full scan no code but it says loss of 4x4 status j1850 message $92. Doing some quick checking on the j1850 everyone is saying there dash lights and exterior lights are affected. Besides the p073 code my entire dash works and my exterior lights work. No problems. I do get the horn going off when I open the door after putting it park sometimes but it only goes off once or twice and then sees it’s in park. I also noticed (may have nothing to do with it idk) but not all the doors lock when I lock it. Sometimes they do sometimes they don’t. But based on the j1850 I’m looking for a bad ground? Or am I way off?

Which door doesn't lock?
If it's a Quad Cab and one of the rears, a common problem is for the wiring in the door opening bundle to get broken, especially if you open the rear door(s) up a lot.

Mark.

Last edited:
It doesn’t come up as p0073 it comes up as p073 description unavailable. Yes it is the rear doors on a quad cab. That has nothing to do with my 4x4 issue I assume?

Back