05 no start after overhaul

coon smile

Truck is a 2005 dodge common rail. The entire engine was overhauled. Cannot get the truck to fire, and I am getting mixed answers on the solutions.

- fuel being returned at back of head is normal
- there is a decent amount of pressure/combustion out of the fuel return line
- there is fuel coming out the exhaust manifold while cranking

How would you all explain the combustion in the fuel return line and the fuel in the exhaust manifold?

Injector not seated correctly?
Injector hung open?
Something else?

Please discuss. Thanks.

Kmkalkhoff

Fuel in the exhaust is probably because there isnt enough compression to burn it

:bang

BTW text me, I got a new phone and lost all my digits.

Last edited:
Just had a guy call me the other day about white smoke and raw fuel out of the exhaust, he had changed nozzles and lost a spring out of the injector. Rookie mistake but I suppose it can happen to anyone.

These were running before teardown. I dont think they had them apart.

An injector washer didnt come off somehow did it?

No, but 3 injectors were caked black on the nozzle, washer and just above the washer on the body.

Missing washerX2.

No, the injectors were pulled to look for missing or double stacked washers. Everything was good there. Even double checked the washer thickness.

:bang

BTW text me, I got a new phone and lost all my digits.

I love u.

Just had a guy call me the other day about white smoke and raw fuel out of the exhaust, he had changed nozzles and lost a spring out of the injector. Rookie mistake but I suppose it can happen to anyone.

The injectors were never taken apart, and they ran great before the overhaul. They did sit in the shop for approx 5 months.

These were running before teardown. I dont think they had them apart.

Correct.

Would also like to note that a few of the "6.7" cross over tubes were "eyebrowed, mushroomed, indented" to the point you could easily pick it with a fingernail.

Ive got a set of good running stock sticks I can ship out Monday to you to try and eliminate the possibility of it being them. Happy to help. They are 87K 2005 sticks.

Tubes may not be sealing. But that doesnt explain the compression in the return circuit.

Ive got a set of good running stock sticks I can ship out Monday to you to try and eliminate the possibility of it being them. Happy to help. They are 87K 2005 sticks.

That's one hell of an offer. My injectors are in a box, and ready to be shipped out tomorrow to get tested.

Your signature made me chuckle. Thanks for that.

Tubes may not be sealing. But that doesnt explain the compression in the return circuit.

Right, but an injector not seating properly in the head may explain the damage on the tubes and the compression in the return. Or not?

I get it. Cooler racing is way cooler than this thread, but I really need some help :)

The compression you are seeing in the return line at the back of the head. Are you sure it's coming from the head side, and not the return line side? In other words could it be coming from the PRV or the return of the CP3? If it's coming from that side, the compression could be coming back through an injector.

Paul

Are you sure that everything is in time? if the cam was 180 out then the truck could be injecting fuel on the exhuast stroke of the motor instead of the compression stroke making fuel come out of the exhuast, it would not explain the compression in the fuel system but it is something to think about.

The fuel return was checked with a separate line at the back of the head, independent from the cp3 and PRV. The cam timing is correct. The airdog feeding the cp3s maintains 18psi, but while cranking will slowly suck fuel pressure to 0 psi after 10~ seconds of cranking.

Lavon

Make sure 1-2 and 5-6 injector wire plugs are right and not crossed. if not sure you can unplug 1-2 turn on the key, then turn off the key and read the codes it will tell you if it thinks 1-2 are unpluged or 5-6 are unpluged. don't asked me how i know.

I just talked to Lavon, and he said it will run on ether. It has a 24valve manifold on it flipped upside down, so the pyro port is on the bottom. He took the probe out and a lot of fuel ran out. They are pretty certain that it is an injector stuck open so they are sending them out to get tested.

Back