06 CR oil pump failed

Whats the rest of the engine look like?? Just by design the Cummins pump "failing" would be extremely rare without an underlying cause

Everything else seems ok. We can't seem to find what caused it to fail.

No the oil pump has never been out. The injectors are good. Top end is ok. Looks like something got into the pump and locked it up. I have heard of this as a common problem. Need to check bearings. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370256222.569151.jpg

The oil pan is in good shape.

Should I replace parts and put it back together or pull it and rebuild it or replace it? It dinged up the gears in the housing, cracked the housing, and there were fragments in the pan.

Id try and find whatever it was that would have locked the pump up. Ive seen plenty of these engines ran low/without oil, throw parts out the side, etc and the oil pumps always look great.

Did you drain the oil? If not, do that and see what you find? Might be a clue there. Ever had a turbo blow up on this engine?

Oil is drained. The pan has been dropped and we found pieced from the pump in the bottom. I lost a turbo a couple years ago you that you rebuilt for me. The snap ring backed out and it lost oil pressure. That was at least 2 yrs ago.

Oil is drained. The pan has been dropped and we found pieced from the pump in the bottom. I lost a turbo a couple years ago you that you rebuilt for me. The snap ring backed out and it lost oil pressure. That was at least 2 yrs ago.

I thought that was you. Screen names are not my friend, but I remembered Slippery Rock. I'd pull the oil cooler head add look in there for pieces, also look at the regulator.

Last edited:
I bought my truck new in 05.
Truck had low oil pressure, took back to dealer was told it
was a sending unit, was told drive until we get new one.
One week later 1800 miles Chrysler had to replace motor.
Bad oil pump.

Back