06 cummins fan control

megastang

I swapped an 06 5.9 and 48re with the factory fan clutch into my wifes excursion earlier this year. Everything is running well with the exception of the a/c. The only issue with the a/c is that the fan doesn't come on when the pressure gets high to cool the condenser so the a/c doesn't cool when your not running down the road. This is only really an issue now that the kids are in school and my wife has to wait at school to pick up the kids. I have a stock dodge pressure transducer in the high pressure line but from the wiring I was working with it looks like the pressure transducer signal goes to the tipm (which i didn't use). as far as i can guess the tipm tells the ecm to run the fan through the can bus and there is no input in the ecm to control the fan.

If anyone knows anything about making this work I would greatly appreciate the information.

Thank you

I swapped an 06 5.9 and 48re with the factory fan clutch into my wifes excursion earlier this year. Everything is running well with the exception of the a/c. The only issue with the a/c is that the fan doesn't come on when the pressure gets high to cool the condenser so the a/c doesn't cool when your not running down the road. This is only really an issue now that the kids are in school and my wife has to wait at school to pick up the kids. I have a stock dodge pressure transducer in the high pressure line but from the wiring I was working with it looks like the pressure transducer signal goes to the tipm (which i didn't use). as far as i can guess the tipm tells the ecm to run the fan through the can bus and there is no input in the ecm to control the fan.

If anyone knows anything about making this work I would greatly appreciate the information.

Thank you

What radiator are you running? I never got my Dodge fan clutch to work so i went to GOS and bought the adapter for the fan and installed the stock 7.3 fan and clutch with the 6.0 radiator and Ford 6.0 fan shroud. Mine works good at idle now.

Look at the wiring to the dodge fan, I don't remember which one, but if you ground one wire it locks up the viscous fan so you get full flow. I wired mine up to go to full flow any time the a/c is on.

i'm running the stock v10 ratiator which i determined to be the same as the 7.3 radiator. i'm using the stock 5.9 vistronic clutch and a ford 6.0 blade. I don't have a shroud yet which probably isn't helping my a/c issue, but I made my own motor mounts and was able to keep the stock coolant tank which is nice. there are some pics in my swap thread. not many though.

I was wondering if there was something that could be done with some type of switch, when I saw the fan is controlled by a pwm signal i thought it might get a bit more complicated though. maybe i'll have to experiment a little and hope i don't fry something

With mine I just did what got torque did and spiced into fan control wire or the brown/orange wire and ran a wire back through to a switch in the cab to ground. I just leave it on around town and turn it off on the hyway so it can do it's normal thing. hope that helps.

Back