06 Duramax question

dennhop

I've got a neighbor with a stock 06 Duramax, asking me about programmers to use to increase fuel mileage. He states that the mileage currently is about 14 mpg, combination town and highway, and that while he might drive it with a heavy foot, his wife babies the truck.
My initial thoughts would be EFI Live, but it would seem to me that there's something else going on there, to keep his mileage down to 14 mpg or so...
I've scanned through some threads, and heard that the factory exhaust could be an issue, with the cat collapsing in, and restricting airflow, causing mileage issues.

I don't own a duramax, and honestly don't know that much about them, but if theres anything you all know to look at for mileage on these trucks, anything you would be willing to speak to would be greatly appreciated. If this is a typical average mpg, then I guess thats that, but it would seem to me that he should be getting more out of it. I rarely see them towing with it, as they have other trucks they use to tow their boats and work trailers, so that's not really an issue, and we live in an area where the speed limit is 55, and there's not a lot of traffic, or stops, so its more rural/highway miles than city.

The only thing I can think of is the issue my 03 Dodge had, that if it didn't get out on the road and opened up every now and then, it got "grouchy" and the mileage dropped, until I got it under load for an hour or so. Don't know if this is the same with the Duramaxes, but other than that, I can't think of anything.

I'm also wondering if there's anything out there that costs less than EFI, with proven mileage increases, as I'm not sure he'd be willing to drop 800 on a 2-3 mpg increase.

My father in law has a 4" exhaust and an edge juice on his 07 classic dually and he's averaging 17

I'm pulling 15 on the freeway with 38" Toyo's. /his should be better than that. A programmer or tune of about 80hp, dp back exhaust, and delete or block the emissions crap. There's plenty of trucks with that setup hitting high teens.

not sure what can be done about the emissions part, since it's NC, with a state inspection-and I think emissions annually....

not sure what can be done about the emissions part, since it's NC, with a state inspection-and I think emissions annually....

Not sure how much attention they pay to it,but putting a blocker plate in as it's pretty much unnoticeable would help. Re route the PCV but do it in a way you can hook it back up for emissions testing... that's what I do. Same with the cat, remove it all year, put it back in for the one day I get tested.

Not sure how much attention they pay to it,but putting a blocker plate in as it's pretty much unnoticeable would help. Re route the PCV but do it in a way you can hook it back up for emissions testing... that's what I do. Same with the cat, remove it all year, put it back in for the one day I get tested.

Do you have or could you get any pics of the block off youre talking about? Also, did you reroute the pcv that way? Forgive my ignorance, but my knowledge of duramaxs ends with it has an allison trans, lol

Yea id stay the **** away from dmaxtuner. Sounds like your neighbor is just lookin for some better mpg's. Efi Live isn't for everybody, put a PPE standard on the truck and I'll bet you it does everything he wants it to. Lvl 3 got me the best mileage. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 4" exhaust system and an egr blocker plate. That combo will most likely bump the mileage up to around 17-18

Last edited:
Yea id stay the **** away from dmaxtuner. Sounds like your neighbor is just lookin for some better mpg's. Efi Live isn't for everybody, put a PPE standard on the truck and I'll bet you it does everything he wants it to. Lvl 3 got me the best mileage. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 4" exhaust system and an egr blocker plate. That combo will most likely bump the mileage up to around 17-18

Dmaxtuner.com has a stock trans DSP5 for the LBZ that is pretty nice. The mileage tune is good for 21-22 mpg highway.

Dmaxtuner.com has a stock trans DSP5 for the LBZ that is pretty nice. The mileage tune is good for 21-22 mpg highway.

I've got one too that gets 21-22 hwy, and has a nice performance setting in it. And I have had no dealings with dmaxtuner, but from some recent things I've read(and some of it old) I would avoid him as well.

Do you have or could you get any pics of the block off youre talking about? Also, did you reroute the pcv that way? Forgive my ignorance, but my knowledge of duramaxs ends with it has an allison trans, lol

Blocker plate goes between egr cooler and pass side up pipe. Pretty cheap and most aftermarket retailers (alligator, underground, dmax store, etc) will have them. I used two 5/8" hoses, one off each pcv vent, into a T and then a line from that down the side of the block. Come emissions time, I hook that last line back into the intake, smog it, then pull it back off and plug thr inlet in the intake.

I'll try to find a pic of a blocker plate.

Anyone wanna give me the short version (or long if you want) why to avoid DuramaxTuner.com? I've heard a few bad things about them recently, but no explanation as to why. Just to avoid them.

Do Nick (and his other tuners) lack tuning skill? Or is it more of a shady business man kind of thing?

Just curious and want to be informed. Especially since they are now also tuning CR Cummins with EFI Live.

Anyone wanna give me the short version (or long if you want) why to avoid DuramaxTuner.com? I've heard a few bad things about them recently, but no explanation as to why. Just to avoid them.

Do Nick (and his other tuners) lack tuning skill? Or is it more of a shady business man kind of thing?

Just curious and want to be informed. Especially since they are now also tuning CR Cummins with EFI Live.

I believe there was a fiasco with some connecting rods. From what i could gather, i believe they collaborated with someone else to bring a set of lower cost performance connecting rods to the market that didnt pan out, costing everyone involved a few bucks when things started coming unglued.

Other than that i dont recall ever hearing anything negative.

the tunes i had from him looked alot like PPE tunes......if you catch my drift

the tunes i had from him looked alot like PPE tunes......if you catch my drift

i've looked at a few of his tunes as well from people complaining about driveability, and they really weren't that impressive either. Just basic fuel and timing changes, and the timing offsets were still stock in the ones that I looked at.

the only problem i experienced with nick was reaching him when i tried to get tuning from him. both of the tuners in my sig have good reputations if you decide to go with efi live. rob is probably the easiest to deal with, bobo got burnt on a joint venture and only wants to tune trucks in person now, last i heard.

i've looked at a few of his tunes as well from people complaining about driveability, and they really weren't that impressive either. Just basic fuel and timing changes, and the timing offsets were still stock in the ones that I looked at.

I had a max effort stock turbo tune from him. Smoked like a train at WOT. Felt a lot like a 300hp PPE tune but with more smoke up top lol.

What kind of driveability issues? I did have overboost issues with the 01, but i had them before i went to Nick's tuning, and watching some of the videos in the private label did make me understand what my issue was and how to correct it. My 06 was flawless for the first six months, now im getting the occasional overboost and p2563, im assuming since it was perfect for 6 months or so its not the tuning.

Back