06 randomly shuts off misses when cold

dirtydiesel

Hey guys my brother bought an 06 1ton in the summer, ever since he bought it he has been dealing with this issue. It would randomly shut off while driving, starts back up fine and runs good. I cant remember the codes but one was high fuel pressure the other was loss of communication. We recently put new batteries in it, new valve cover gasket and last new II injectors. Now the truck misses worse when its cold and when it shuts off it just comes up with loss of communication...Truck is pretty much stock other then edge stacked with smarty and I believe the new injectors are 60 overs... any ideas? Thanks!

Without hooking it to a dealer scan tool you're shooting in the dark if it's a bad TIPM.

Last edited:
He has a snap on scan tool I just cant remember the codes... Ill see if i can get them today

Unhook the edge and see if it fixes it. They have caused similar problems on trucks before.

the truck did it before the edge was even on it ... Ok i got the codes 2509 and 2609

From the sticky

P2509 ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent

P2609 Intake Air Heater System Performance

Clean connections on battery cables and clean the battery post,make sure everything is tight.

batteries are brand new and the cables are clean... My brother is thinking about getting a computer for it anyone think that could be the problem?

batteries are brand new and the cables are clean... My brother is thinking about getting a computer for it anyone think that could be the problem?

Not likely but it is a possibility. Clean all the ground connections first. Also make sure there is no corrosion inside the battery cable near the battery end. Bad battery cables can make weird problems.

P2609 is a grid heater power supply issue, the ecm looks for a voltage drop to indicate that the grid heater is functioning, it's not seeing that voltage drop.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
*Intake air heater open
*Intake air heater ground open
*Open battery cable from intake air heater relay
*Battery cable open
*#1 Intake air heater relay
*#2 Intake air heater relay
*Intermittent condition

P2509 is set when a loss of voltage is detected at the ECM for a calibrated amount of time.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
*Poor connections at the batteries
*Low battery voltage
*Open fused B+ to ECM
*Open ground circuit
*Battery + shorted to other circuits
*Return circuit shorted
*Battery + shorted to ground
*Intermittent condition

Back