06 with blow by problems.

gunracer1

Truck has 147k just got a built tranny and now it has terrible blow by. Anyone have any ideas. It has never had anything more than a 140 hp tune on it It a friend of a friend thing. I'm just trying to help out.

Piston rings bad, head gasket blown, valve seats dropping, valve seals/guides bad or something broke in the valvetrain.

Jake

My 06 went from perfect to so much blowby it coated the bottom of the truck and a 20' trailer in about 200 miles. It broke a ring on #6.

My 06 went from perfect to so much blowby it coated the bottom of the truck and a 20' trailer in about 200 miles. It broke a ring on #6.

thats what i was thinking but damn, its was pretty close to stock most of its life. and 147k is nothing.

What's your idea of terrible? How much oil does it use?

Mine has what I would consider excessive blowby, but nothing near like what Rich is talking about. It uses a couple quarts every 1500 miles.

152K miles, and except for the last 12K it's been bone stock.

its blowing oil every where, out the dipstick, you can feel it puffing out the overflow tube.

That's how mine was. You couldn't set the oil filler cap over the hole ...it would blow it off. You could watch the cylinder pulses there and out the blowdown tube.

Melted piston from a bad injector. See if the oil is diesel smelly!

When mine did that it was running great and had finished a low 12 second pass then smoke everywhere. Ended up 5 melted pistons one with a hole all thw way thru and into the block also. It would still run and drive just used alot of oil and had a bunch coming out of everywhere. My oil filler cap would also not sit on cover with out it blowing off.

PICT3610.jpg

PICT3611.jpg

PICT3612.jpg

Mine's nothing near that bad...the cap will sit in the hole without blowing out.

I saw one that was bad enough that it would almost strip the threads off the plastic while you unscrewed it. Ended up having pistons looking like JohhnyFoxtrot's.

06 with blow problem

My guess would be burnt piston caused by bad injector,common rails are money pits junk!!! Just traded mine. Dodge and I have divorced. Down hill after the 12 valves!!!!!:badidea:

My guess would be burnt piston caused by bad injector,common rails are money pits junk!!! Just traded mine. Dodge and I have divorced. Down hill after the 12 valves!!!!!:badidea:

Tell us how you really feel. 90% of CR problems can be avoided and are due to owner error or an uninformed owner IMO. That doesn't make the owner bad, just never informed.

Jake

What type of air filtration is on the truck? K&N?

Seems like 95% of trucks from Texas have dusting issues.

thats what i was thinking but damn, its was pretty close to stock most of its life. and 147k is nothing.

For a CR thats a lot LOL Sounds like broken ring or melted piston.

Broken rings happen all the time on stock CR's

For a CR thats a lot LOL Sounds like broken ring or melted piston.

Broken rings happen all the time on stock CR's

Not saying this is the case but like T said it is pretty common even more so on the 04.5 up due to the tighter ring gaps and ring position. This was altered when trying to clean things up for emissions.

I wasn't miss informed I knew it had a chance of melting but figured after 50xxx miles of abuse (hard abuse) I was surprised it made it this far.

So if I had a tuning issue I would love to hear it. Shortly after melt down Smarty was dumped and going EFILIVE. Stil it ran great with a Smarty MP-8.

Down to bones if its a broken ring or a melted piston the head needs to come off unless you can do leak down tests and verify something. Regardless the head may need to ome off if not more....

Back