06 wont start randomly?

smokin1997

I Know Nothing
here is the deal. i bought an 06 this week. its bone stock with 102k on it.

The first time i had this happen to me, I left the truck running, got out and the factory security alarm went off, so I reached in and turned the ignition of while the horn was blaring and it quit. I came back out 10 minutes later and nothing, it would not start. If I unhook both batteries, let it sit for 30 minutes, hook them back up, cycle the key 3-4 times, it will start. There are no blown fuses or relays, I have checked them over and over. Ther batteries and starter are both good. I forgot to mention that the key is chipped.

It will start 3, 4, or 5 times just fine. Then I will go to start it and nothing, I have to unhook the batteries and do it all over again.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Last edited:
When you say it won't start, do you mean it won't crank the motor over or it cranks, just won't fire (like no fuel)? My truck (also an 06) left me once, wouldn't crank over, I called for a tow, and got it running before they arrived. What I found was the little yellow wire going to the starter was pressed hard against the motor mount bracket, "stealing" the power, not letting it crank. I reached in there and wiggled the wires and it fired right up. I later found there's a TSB for exactly that problem, the wire will not be cut or shorted, just pressed hard/ bent around the motor mount, the TSB says to zip tie it away. Hope this helps, Rob.

the truck wont even give a click or any kind of noise when I turn the key. It wont do anything period. Its almost like the chip in the key is messed up so the truck doesnt recognize it.

Back