07 Prostreet quick 4 is gonna be STUPID...

dude, if you don't know..... I'm not gonna tell you LOL

Timbeaux38 said:
I can tell you it is south of Canada, but I wont say how far south LOL
Tell ya what, you definitely oughta look into a Chunchit Valve. They are dad gum amazing!

If I can afford it, I'll be installing one on me buggy soon. Hardest part is finding a shop to do the install. I got on the website, and when i clicked for directions I was dumbfounded...

"Go south till you hear banjo music. Then head south east. Past 5 flea markets, turn right at the flag stand that only sells the 'Starz n Barz.' Through holler over yonder to the boiled peanut stand. Ask for a chub spittin' man named Erl. (no a) He'll give you an address for a particular 'Worlds largest fireworks outlet.' Pull in there, ask for a guy they call "G" man. He'll tell you what Piggley Wiggley to drop your truck off at. The install should take about 3 hours. Get a slushey at the Golden Gallon, and wait for your truck to be delivered to the Waffle House. Go inside, order Grits, Tripple Scattered smothered covered topped and capped, with chop stake and a piece of pie. The keys will be in the pie. "

I dont know how to get there, but gowd I waunt won! :drool1:

:hehe:

So let me get this right, it’s a race where you run heads up on a 10.50 index and a 10.49 loses. So why would you waste all your time trials trying to run to fast to win.
Sounds like its Pro Street with qualifying and first round all in one. The results are four trucks in the end. And a conciliation race of everyone else.

So you have a whole field of index racers trying their best to dial in to a 10.50 and a few trying to run it to the max. The fast trucks will have the proper license and chassis certifications, will the trucks in the other lane have the same just incase something causes them to tangle. Not trying to start a fire storm, just wanted to know

Quick 4 is totally different, Gale.

Open qualifying for pro street. 10.50 index. One pass must be between the 10.50 index and the class maximum 11.99. The rest can be as fast as your safety equipment allows. This is a gamble. I expect most will concentrate on dialing precisely to the index. :pop:

After pro street finals are completed, the 4 fastest qualifying runs go to a quick 4 totally heads up, safety equipment being the only cap.
:what:

So basically it’s the former Pro Street qualifying during the new 10.50 bracket time trials. Why not separate the two and make every one running the quick have the proper credentials and certifications

. I think that the new index came about for several reasons.
First Pro Street was getting so expensive that the truck count of actually competitive entry was getting low. And the entrees that were competitive were on the cusp of becoming a professional category. IMO this is where Pro Street should have gone. but it's gone .

If you are going to have a no expensive spared heads up class it will natural evolve in to an expensive eliminator and price a lot of people out of competition. The perceived answer was to make it more inclusive, but this denied the heads up guys a place to run , most of the front runners have since moved to the professional categories, as they should.

This 10.50 index class if taken seriously and treated as just that, a heads up brakeout eliminator, with everyone trying to be competitive in the respect to the game of index racing, could become something really great just as the Super Categories have in the mainstream drag racing. I can see it becoming the bulk of sportsman racers in a few years if this class is cultivated. Its relative easy to build, reliable to run , and is skill based

Well it had to do something with 4x4s being illegal in the 9s, 5500 lbs or more trucks running 130mph plus & same few guys that were smoking everybody else.

Well amazingly the front ends held up to last years power, that would start getting scary if they started chucking front axles half way down the track.

Did they get rid of the rule that you needed the truck to be registered, state inspected, etc.?

COMP461 said:
... I think that the new index came about for several reasons. First Pro Street was getting so expensive that the truck count of actually competitive entry was getting low. And the entrees that were competitive were on the cusp of becoming a professional category. IMO this is where Pro Street should have gone. but it's gone ...

1. Cost - in heads up, he who spends the most money, wins. And there just haven't been enough people with enough money to be able to participate and hope to win. Putting a cap on the speed allows more people to build a truck and race it for a season, knowing they won't have to keep rebuilding the truck after each race just to keep up. Look at QD (12.0 index); they spent their money going to all the races instead of making their trucks go ever faster.

2. Safety - Running a 5500# truck at 145 MPH is fine, until you have a tire or some other mechanical failure. Until SFI finish their R&D on a roll cage spec, building a cage for a 5500# truck is still a crapshoot: no one knows if what is built will work.

3. Suspense - the outcome of a race is truly unknown. All the trucks could run 12.05, but one might have a sticking nozzle, another's driver could suffer a brain fart at the tree, another might have his tires aired exactly perfectly, et al. With heads-up racing, the drivers who qualified slowest are usually out in the first round (except for drivers like Jeff "Bye Run" Garmon - Mr. Consistency); it's not as suspenseful when you pretty much know who (or rather, which truck) is going to win.

4. Entertainment - the suspense and closeness of each round or racing will get more people watching diesel trucks drag racing.

I think the 10.5 and 12.0 index classes will get a lot more people involved in diesel drag racing, and will build a loyal fan base more quickly.

Why do we continue to enforce the 5500# weight limit rule? It would help keep these trucks together if we could get down to a 4000# or 3500# limit and the safety goes way up. What factors make the 5500# limit stay?

brandon.

Their is no weight rule this year.I am still running this year and shedding all the weight that can be .I have other things being built for the truck to reduce weight also.But I still feel this should be any thing goes E.T. class heads up.So the with the quick 4 you go out and run a 9 then come back and turn it down no way will that work.Because you know all of us that ran Pro street are gonna run the hell out of it to be the quickest in it.So now we have a situation where you tore stuff up before the real elimanations trying to be the quickest .I have spoke to Dave Dunbar numerous times on this he knows how we feel .Give us the safety cage requirements and a lower weight and remove the index.Make another class for guys who wanna run the index.

massdiesel said:
Their is no weight rule this year.I am still running this year and shedding all the weight that can be .I have other things being built for the truck to reduce weight also.But I still feel this should be any thing goes E.T. class heads up.So the with the quick 4 you go out and run a 9 then come back and turn it down no way will that work.Because you know all of us that ran Pro street are gonna run the hell out of it to be the quickest in it.So now we have a situation where you tore stuff up before the real elimanations trying to be the quickest .I have spoke to Dave Dunbar numerous times on this he knows how we feel .Give us the safety cage requirements and a lower weight and remove the index.Make another class for guys who wanna run the index.

there are many opinons on this,i fell the weight limits were fine ,and the trucks could of been slowed down by makeing them run a street course or something of the like but that option wasnt done so we are were we are know trying to compet with a 5500 lb truck...in heads up

Pro Street was indexed for many reasons, many of which have already been discussed here. But let me add a couple of things.

The entire year of 2006, Pro Street never had more than two rounds of competition at a race. We had 10 trucks at Indy which was our best turn-out which got rained out, but we would have only had 3 rounds. We had a total of 35 trucks for the year in Pro Street. We had trucks as quick as 9.90 and some that never qualified.

All of us enjoy watching these guys go as fast as they can but if we expect to grow this class, Pro Street needs spectators/fans, competitors, and sponsors. How do we get them?

Sponsors want a crowd and they want trucks going rounds. Sponsors put their money into the sport for advertisement. Having a truck make a few passes down the track, or break before eliminations begin is not what they are looking for. They don't get exposure from a truck that is not going down the track on a regular basis.

How do we get spectators/fans? Create some competition between the racers and provide them with rounds of competition to watch.

So lets look at the new rules.

Weight can be removed. Should enable quicker times with a reduced failure rate. Less weight also will provide for a safer race vehicle.

Indexed. Provides for a performance goal that everyone knows they need to achieve to be competitive. If in testing you can run the index then a racer can travel to a race knowing they have a chance to win. It also stabilizes the amount of money required to be competitive. This should help bring more racers into the class.

More racers mean more rounds. Last year Pro Street made a total of 7 rounds of eliminations. That is not what we need to create more interest in this sport. We need rounds of action.

With a field of 16 trucks, if none break, we have 8 rounds of racing. More than the entire season last year. With an Index, more racers are competitive, more racers have a chance to win, which means more excitement for those of us watching. More rounds means sponsors see the opportunity to get more exposure in front of larger crowds. So let me ask a question. Do we even know if these trucks can make 8 rounds of competition without breaking? I personally think it will be tough.

Everyone I have talked to wants to see this sport grow. Right now for many in the industry, it is very new and very much a novelty. Just being the novelty will attract attention to us (which it has done) but eventually the novelty of diesel racing will go away. When it does, we need a solid foundation of great competition so our sport doesn't die.

Everyone at DHRA wants to have Pro Street as a heads up class. But quite frankly, if we don't control the growth of this class and generate some excitement outside of these web pages, it will never grow to reach it's potential. All we are seeking at DHRA is to stabilize this class until it can once again be made heads up or we can introduce another class to fill the gap.

The Quick 4 was asked for by the racers and DHRA agreed to include it. There is a small purse awarded to the winner. The trucks on N20 or electronics should be able to adjust power if they want to compete in the quick 4. The fuel only p-pump crowd will have a harder time but it's still possible and very doable.

But it all comes down to numbers. Having met with many representatives from companies looking at our sport, they need to be able to justify to their bosses the benefit of advertising dollars with DHRA. That simply means they look at attendance and competitors. If we want to see this sport grow to something larger than a few events around the country with a mostly internet base of competitors/spectators, we need to attract the sponsors. We attract the sponsors with competitors and spectators.

So here is the challenge. Are each of you going to make the difference?

We have so many of the pieces in place to make the next step, it now depends on the support DHRA receives from the racers and spectators/fans.

We have the audience of some very large companies, media, and even potential racers looking to see where we go this year.

DHRA has dedicated a large portion of it's budget to advertising focused to hit the masses. We will not only be advertising our races, but our racers as well. That advertisement will also help the racers secure sponsors.

DHRA will have races in the western part of the US providing the same opportunities to our friends that can't travel 2 days to make an eastern event. Two separate points series (each with it's own National Event) with a National finals held at the Texas Nationals.

We will have a bracket class, QD class, PS class, and two new classes for the Pro level vehicles (Top Diesel, Pro Diesel). We have also decided that for 2007, at the 3 National events, we will have a complete competition of these vehicles with purse provided. We just need to know who is planning on racing Top or Pro Diesel.

To complete the puzzle? We need more people at the events and more rounds of competition.

Are you with us? If so, join DHRA, come out to watch and/or compete at the events this year. We'd love to see ya at them and help grow this sport to the next level.

Sorry for the long post... $.02

Last edited:
I am in 100% agreement with David, I had a chance to listen to him in Houston talking with several racers and I believe (as he does), that getting these trucks down the track until they get beat by a competitor rather than a mechanical gremlin is the key. This sport is young, it needs to grow right now. Once the money and fan base is there to help the serious racers out on the $$$ side THEN we can see some stooopid time slips.

You recieve a complete rulebook, patches, stickers, etc in your membership packet.

Back