08 6.7L/ 06 Superduty w/5R110 LOTS OF PICS

1fst690

I just thought that I would share what we have been working on at the shop. We actually have two conversions going on. The first one is a 01 Superduty that we pulled the 5.9l Cummins/ 48RE out of and are sticking in a 08 6.7L Cummins/ Allison/ Ford T-case combo. It still is a little ways from being done.

The project that we are just wrapping up is a 06 Superduty, that we installed a 08 6.7L Cummins in that is using the factory 6.7L ECM, TIPM and HVAC control unit. It is backed by the factory Ford 5R110 tranny and t-case that is controlled by the 6.0L ECM. We built the engine mounts in house as well as beefed up the tranny in house.

The engine was fitted with head studs, as set of II 60hp tips, 85% CP3 and a Super Phat Shaft over a S480 twin setup. The transmission was built using a Suncoast Iron Pac build kit.

There has been some hard work along the way and some frustration for sure. We have been working thru some wiring harness issues with Ford-Cummins as far as getting the TIPM to communicate with the ECM and the factory SKIM module and SKIM key.

On initial startup we had the run-die problem, and we figured out that we had no CAN BUS communication. Once we got that all figured out we loaded the truck on a trailer and sent it to our local dealer to program all the modules. Once that was done the truck started right up and idled great, had 3000+ rpm when driven but the tranny was a little odd shifting.

Figured out that we were missing a TPS and MAP signal to the Ford ECM. After looking at the wiring we found no way to tap into and use the Cummins TPS. We had to piggy back the Ford TPS onto the Cummins TPS to make it work. The Map sensor was simply a matter of "T"ing into our boost reference line. When all that was done the trans shifted properly and worked great.

We are still working through the a/c issues. We are trying to retain the factory electronically controlled cooling fan, as well as maintaining the Ford factory HVAC controls in the dash.

Here are a few pics of the build. I hope you guys enjoy.

I would like to thank our parts suppliers: Premier Performance, Industrial Injection, GOS Performance, De-Stroked, Ford-Cummins and Glacier Diesel Performance

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Nice clean install. Keep up the good work and report back on how things work out.

Are you using the 6.7 ECM?

Chris.

yes, we are using the factory 6.7 ECM, currently tuned with a Smarty. Once we get all the bugs worked out it will be tuned with EFI live

Just a quick update.....

Got the A/C and HVAC sorted out today, also got the factory cooing fan working corectly today. Went for its first couple of road tests!! Found a couple of small boost leaks. We will get those fixed in the morning and take it out for a good road test and see how the power feels!

Boy do some of those pictures look familiar.
We are getting close to wrapping up a 99 f350 that we put a 6.7 and Allison 1000 6sp in.
I thought we were going to lose our sanity a few times with the wiring.
If you want to clean up the valve cover, you can get one for a Paccar px6 through your local kenworth or peterbilt dealer. It gets rid of the passenger side drop for the blowby tube and instead drops it down the back with a drivers side draft tube that comes out by the bellhousing.

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Last edited:
What are you guys doing about the rear axle on these high horsepower conversions? I have been looking for a superduty roller to put this built 5.9 CR in that I have sitting around but I'm worried about the sterling 10.5 holding up in a 7-800 hp truck?

Nice looking builds Btw hope I can start one in a few months.

Supersonic- Thanks for the tip on the valve cover! Your conversion looks great. We are also working on a 01 Superduty 6.7L/Allison combo that will use the tap shift and 6 spd conversion valve body. It is getting close to being ready to drive. Probably a few weeks off. Are you running the 6.7 ECM, TIPM, SKIM on your conversions or running them as a 5.9?

Bigbore- We have not seen any issues with the Sterling rear ends, the 5.9L we pulled out out of the 01 was about 700hp, twin turbo, big injectors, modded CP3 ect. That truck was used to pull a 38' Raptor toyhauler from here to montana and back several times without anny issue. It was also used almost exclusively for towing rather large loads. We had almost 60K miles before he decided to upgrade to the 6.7L

Supersonic- Thanks for the tip on the valve cover! Your conversion looks great. We are also working on a 01 Superduty 6.7L/Allison combo that will use the tap shift and 6 spd conversion valve body. It is getting close to being ready to drive. Probably a few weeks off. Are you running the 6.7 ECM, TIPM, SKIM on your conversions or running them as a 5.9?

We used all the 6.7 electronics. After several failed attempts at ridding the system of the skim key and reader, we finally just said screw it and put it under the dash. Now everything is happy. The trans we got was already a 6sp out of an 09 Chevy, we are using an 06 TCM and BCM to controll trans functions and tapshift/tow haul. Everything should operate as factory other than I won't have a gear indicator while in manual mode.

Back