08 KW question

Ryan Tucker

Do it Dont talk about it.
Just bought a 08 KW with a Cat 475hp Eaton 13 speed Auto. It runs great and is all original. Im looking to delete the dpf crap. Who in the diesel comm. Is the people to go to for this? Also want a computer to turn it up a bit, with a quick search Pitsburge Performance looked to have a nice adjustable dash unit, any one used them? The engine is a C15 475hp

I would look for a smaller shop/tuner, the big names a well known for charging huge amounts of money and providing hack job calibrations. There's a couple CAT guys on here that will point you the right way.

I have an 09kw T660 I just got and was wanting to do the same but it has a Ism.

This C15 has factory twin turbos, its running 45 lbs boost on a good pull, it has a huge emission head deal with a spark plug in it. Plus the monster dpf, i want to delete it. This truck is also a T660

It's an SDP
You need to find out if the valve guides have been updated or not. CAT issued a service letter, they were causing high CCV pressure. Even if you strip everything, the blowby would be annoying

Last edited:
It's an SDP
You need to find out if the valve guides have been updated or not. CAT issued a service letter, they were causing high CCV pressure. Even if you strip everything, the blowby would be annoying

Is this on all 08 Cats?

Yes.
All SDP and LEE on Highway.
I can check it with a full serial number

Got rid of the 08 and did good on it before it gave trouble and cost money. The DPF crap and twins didn't seem the way to go.

Bought a 99 KW with 434,000 original miles, 600hp Cat 3406E; 18 spd. No emissions crap here and a nice single charger. problem is millage sucks but it does run really good and pulls hard. Only making 20# boost, will have to see what normal is on this setup. Its getting 5.0 to 5.3 mpg my 05 9400i Cummins gets 5.9 to 6.3, with a 10 spd.

I want to find a good computer tuning to put on it to see if I can gain a tick of millage does anyone have any suggestions?

Got rid of the 08 and did good on it before it gave trouble and cost money. The DPF crap and twins didn't seem the way to go.

Bought a 99 KW with 434,000 original miles, 600hp Cat 3406E; 18 spd. No emissions crap here and a nice single charger. problem is millage sucks but it does run really good and pulls hard. Only making 20# boost, will have to see what normal is on this setup. Its getting 5.0 to 5.3 mpg my 05 9400i Cummins gets 5.9 to 6.3, with a 10 spd.

I want to find a good computer tuning to put on it to see if I can gain a tick of millage does anyone have any suggestions?

If you are only pulling 20# of boost you have problems, my 5ek pulled 40 all day and 6+ mpg. I would bet you have a boost leak.

Thanks, when I get in tomorrow I plan to leak check it and have a look at the charger

20 is low and 40 is unrealistic.

Mid 5mpg in a W9 is commonplace. It could be improved some.

At 600hp you have a 16L and not an 3406 unless someone has played with it.
In it should be a 7cz or W1A
Post a serial number and I can tell you what it was supposed to do.

1MM is the 3406E 15.8L 600hp 70pin, 5DS is the 40pin version.

1MM is the 3406E 15.8L 600hp 70pin, 5DS is the 40pin version.

CAT FIGHT !!!! Sorry. I had to. LOL

Back