'09 died, cranks, no start

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hello all. Looking for suggestions as to why the wife's '09 6.7 won't start.

Changed head gasket, started 'er up. She idled for 20 or so minutes and we jumped in for a test ride. Went about a 1/2 mile and it just plain died. No stumble or miss, just flat died.

Pulled it back to the house and did some internet research.

Found a thread on cummins forum where a fella was getting fuel to the cp3. He unhooked the wiring to the cp3 with no change. He them took the feed line to the rail off and had someone crank the engine while he watched for fuel. He stated that no fuel was present at the removed line.

He deduced that his cp3 was bad. His truck started and ran fine after replacing the cp3.

I did all the same stuff to the wife's truck and no fuel is coming out the supply line to the rail.

We had a barometric pressure and high intake air temp codes. I tried clearing them with the smarty with no luck.

Should I be ordering a new cp3 or could something else possibly be wrong.

Truck has been deleted with smarty s67 and has 60k miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

First make sure fuel is getting to injection pump. If so and you have no fuel going to the rail with fca plugged in or unplugged then the pump is shot.

Yep, pump was shot.

One reman cp3 and she's back on the road.

60k and a shot CP3?
I'd be talking to Dodge...LOUDLY, deleted or not!

Mark.

I'd be talking to Dodge...LOUDLY, deleted or not!

Maybe I should. Just two days before pump failure, the fuel filter became plugged. We changed the filter out once before around 30k or so. It was something we failed to do in time and we ended up having to stop on our way to a race because she literally quit pulling. The filter was horribly clogged. Once the new filter was on, we went on our marry way with no problems. I'd say we put another 200 or so miles on 'er before the failure.

I'd hate the think the plugged filter caused the failure, but, if it did then dodge is not to blame.

plugged filter could starve CP3 and cause a failure....
im having the same exact issue with my deleted 08 6.7. except mine developed this after replacing (leaking) fuel-rail, rps, injector supply tubes and lines, and filter... then replaced the cp3 with one i had on the shelf that came off a running 6.7 with 60,000 mi, still didnt help any. did the new pump salve the issue? :confused:

Yes, the new pump was installed and the thing fired right up.

I'm not sure if you know or not, but if you unhook the wire going to the pump and crank the engine, you should see at least a little bit of fuel out of the injector lines. If the supply fuel is good and you have none at the injector lines, it's the pump.

Back