12.852 @ 107.47 standard trans, stock turbo

4WARNED

Gear Jammer
Ran a new personal best this weekend at the M6 GM event in Stanton, Michigan

Backed this run up with a 12.895 @ 106.95

This is stock turbo, stock motor, stock injectors, stock CP3, stock ZF-6 manual trans, #2 only:woohoo:

Could you elaborate on the "worm gear" diff...I know what a worm gear, is just never heard of a worm gear diff...thanks

By the way, great times!
-Alex

Could you elaborate on the "worm gear" diff...I know what a worm gear, is just never heard of a worm gear diff...thanks

By the way, great times!
-Alex

Thanks

I may not be calling it the correct thing but it is the differential out of the dodge powerwagons, made by AAM.

The diff is open until you put your foot into it. So you get a streetable truck that can turn corners and drive in snow and rain without putting the truck sideways, unlike a spool.

It is great for a street truck but if the occasional street race or stoplight acceleration showoff presents itself you dont have to worry about a 1 tire fire!

Thanks

I may not be calling it the correct thing but it is the differential out of the dodge powerwagons, made by AAM.

The diff is open until you put your foot into it. So you get a streetable truck that can turn corners and drive in snow and rain without putting the truck sideways, unlike a spool.

It is great for a street truck but if the occasional street race or stoplight acceleration showoff presents itself you dont have to worry about a 1 tire fire!

I gotcha, yeah those are awesome times. Mind sharing your launch procedure, I am not far off from you trap speed but my 60' is over double yours (slipping single Fe). I'm hoping to get them alot lower when the double disk goes in, but man yours are better than some autos. Very impressive man! keep up the good work...
-Alex

Those are nice times period! Especially impressive with a 6 speed handshaker:rockwoot:

I believe the "worm gear" differential in question is a Torsen type limited slip differential. It uses helical gears and some hocus-pocus to lock the tires together instead of clutches or a ratchet mechanism. I think it's the same type of dark voodo black magic used in ignition coils, but we're all diesel guys anyway right?

As long as it works, we're good.

Congrats on the times, only place to go from there is faster. Good luck guys.

Later
Chris

I believe the "worm gear" differential in question is a Torsen type limited slip differential. It uses helical gears and some hocus-pocus to lock the tires together instead of clutches or a ratchet mechanism. I think it's the same type of dark voodo black magic used in ignition coils, but we're all diesel guys anyway right?

As long as it works, we're good.

Congrats on the times, only place to go from there is faster. Good luck guys.

Later
Chris

it a torsien diff... make alot of sense when you see it in your and and work it.

it is 1:1 bias like a locker yet allows the wheel to turn at diff rpm pending trottle input
PS84_Diff3.gif

How It works:
In the Torsen, as in any other differential, the power of the engine is transferred to the differential housing via the ring gear. The Torsen then uses pairs of worm wheels (from two to three pairs, depending an the size of the differential) mounted on the differential housing to turn the worm gears splined to the axle shafts. The left worm wheel of each pair turns the left axle shaft, and the right worm wheel of each pair turns the right axle shaft, Because the worm wheel cannot turn the worm gear, it locks on the gear and turns the axle shaft, propelling the vehicle forward. The right and left axle shafts (and right and left wheels) turn simultaneously. Each wheel then rotates at the same speed.
However, when the vehicle makes a turn, each wheel rotates at a slightly different rpm. For instance, during a left turn, the left wheel will slow down by two rpm, and the right wheel will speed up by two rpm. One axle shaft always slows down at the exact rate that the other one speeds up. This difference in rpm is transferred to the worm wheels (because the worm gear on the axle shaft can turn the worm wheel and equalize the other side via the 1:1 spur gears, which act as balancing gears). So the engine is "Locked" or engaged on the axle shafts, while allowing for differential action when negotiating turns.

Back