12v Block Identification

Austin_Huff20

I recently finished up building my motor for my truck and have a few questions regarding the block from my donor truck. Motor started as a non-ic first gen motor, I tore it down and ppumped it. When I went to build the compounds for it I noticed that the block had a second turbo drain similar to those of a 24v block. First thing I thought of was it being a 53 block, but after examining the casting numbers on the block it showed no signs of being a 53 block. I then thought maybe a storm block but have never really heard of them dating back to non-ic days.. Any of you guys have any input on my situation? Any help would be appreciated!

Behind the vacuum pump there should be numbers or letters on the bottom left hand side of the drivers side.

Yeah I checked the numbers there and there wasn't anything that stuck out as un-normal. Nothing signifying it as a 53 block..

Yeah I checked the numbers there and there wasn't anything that stuck out as un-normal. Nothing signifying it as a 53 block..

Please post a pic up as requested. These fellas will get you lined out. I am curious as well as I have a few of these and would like to know the strength of them v/s say a STORM block.

Thanks for posting.

This is a "53" block:

attachment.php

It could be a 54 block. I've had 2 of them that had 54 in the middle on the RH side about an inch or inch and a half above the pan rail. It has no numbers where a 053 block does behind the vac pump.

That's interesting. I don't think that I've ever heard of a 54 block. I also wonder the strength of it. Has me thinking why cummins decided to put a second drain in the block on that old of a truck..

The block is used in several different applications requiring different locations. Some are used for drains and some for dipsticks. The 6.7 blocks have several locations.

My first Cummins was a 98 grail truck, which has since been retired and parted out since being stationed in New York for 4 years destroyed the body beyond repair. Upon tearing down the block, I noticed a few cool things...

1. It was, I assume, a STORM block. The dual oil returns being my only indicator. Don't know if there are others aside from the 12mm mains.

2. Behind the timing case, there was a pretty interesting casting mark. The International logo. The block was made by International, and had no "number" markings.

Well, someone must have known more about it than I did, and thought it was pretty valuable, because they paid $800 CASH for it with 275,000 miles worth of wear on the cylinder walls. Just the bare block.

Makes me wonder what was so special about it, but money talks and I was building a ppump 24V, so away it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back