12V connecting rod bushing replacement question.

me2

Does anyone have the exact procedure and know the tool(s) to replace the bushings in a set of 12V connecting rods ?

One search said that the bushing could be removed by hand if it was packed in dry ice while the rod was heated. What is a safe temp for the rod ? 250 F ?

In oil or air ?

The same search said the bushings needed to be honed. There have been several supercedes to the bushings over the years. Do they still need to be honed ?

Has anyone done this ?

Thanks

I sent mine to the machine shop and had them do it after trying that way and messing one up. From what they told me you machine them to fit. So every one is custom. Mine cost me 80 bucks to do.

I sent mine to the machine shop and had them do it after trying that way and messing one up. From what they told me you machine them to fit. So every one is custom. Mine cost me 80 bucks to do.

What do you mean by messing one up ? You split it ? Did you press it ?

I can't find a thing about this in Quickserve. Cummins sells the bushings though.

In other engines you hone the bore like you do a cylinder wall.

I'll have to install one and mic it and see what the ID is.

We pressed the old one out easily but then putting in the new one sucked. Opened it up and damaged it. They have to be sized to fit.

They are a pita to put it, best off having the machine shop press the old ones out and new ones in. And they are honed to spec after assembled into the connecting rod.

Turns out a local engine rebuilding shop will hot tank the rods and install and hone the bushings for $25 per rod. I'll be having them do them.

My rods are from a '99 24V. I haven't measured the bushings, but I am not taking any chances.

Back