12v into v10 ?'s Need Help

Texas Cowboy

Proudly Serving
Ok, my 12v is pretty much beat up pretty bad from abuse. Mostly electrical issues are hounding me. Electronics took a crap right before I deployed last month. I have been seriously thinking of find a decent v10 truck and swamp my 12v stuff over to it. I have found some LOW mileage v10's from 2000-2002 model years in excellent shape. A new wiring harness just for the 12v engine bay in 1500 bucks! Now I have called around to quite a few places and it seems the dealer is the only option. Plus I got a ton of body damage, darn Florida woods!!, and will be costly to fix. So I have the idea of using nice v10 truck because they cost much less that a diesel and it can’t be that hard to swamp everything over. I understand 12v wiring will be needed. But I could go with dakota digital instrument panel to run the gauges and manual VB for my auto then a simple 12v power source for the engine. Could also go with a manual I guess. But I paid lots for this trans and barely got 4k miles on it! Plus the TC was just rebuilt. So I guess my question is, how hard is it? Is it worth the money and time? Give you opinion please. I’m currently deployed and will have the budget to start collecting parts.

Thanks,
Daniel

shouldn't be too hard. and you can use the gasser dash. you could use and fix the wiring harness from your 98 or try a junkyard...better than spending 1500 ona new one

First started with lights not working. Got that fixed. Then had problems with trans. Ordered new pig tail from parts store and fixed that. But the main issue is I keep getting a voltage spike and it keeps frying out the TPS. I installed new PCM with correct cal and no change. So I decided to pull apart the wiring harness. I found it packed with mud (this truck was bought used) and some corrosion on the noise filter connections. I fixed that. Also found a bad pin on one of the PCM plugs and fixed that as well. I ran new wires to the TPS and order a GM sensor plug that matched the Dodge TPS plug. Plug it in with new TPS and fried it within minutes when I turn the key on. However when I checked the voltage at the PCM and the TPS it was the same. When I measured the output voltage it increased and decreased as it should. Then try it again few minutes later and nothing. I also installed new batteries, cables, and body grounds. Even ran a straight ground from the TPS to the NEG battery terminal and still no luck. Still have the same problem. Now right before I left the truck wouldn’t start. The happened once before on vacation. Turn the key on and all lights on panel work. Bump starter and wouldn’t even turn over. Jumped at the fuse under the hood and did straight across jump at the starter. Motor would turn over but not start. The fuel shut off solenoid I did notice not working. This truck is equipped with security system. My uncle retired from Dodge and he thinks the security system is not working properly and that the electronics are not allowing it to start. He suggested replacing the steering column components and install a new engine harness. Dodge wants 1500 for the harness and never checked on replacement for steering column. IMO I have sunk enough money into this truck and that is why I am looking at swamping to a nice v10 and then use the 98v for parts when I break stuff.
Hope that explained the electrical issues.

Daniel

SWAP your 12v into a v10 truck, must use a diesel transmission

buy a 12v harness from csnyder

eliminate fuel shot off and use a manual cable

I picked up a nice gasser truck but it's a 1500 that I plan on replacing my beat up 12v body with but I too am kinda afraid of the intrument cluster and the in cab wiring

OrangeNV thanks. I'm tracking I would need the diesel trans. Manual cable is not a bad idea.

Is csnyder a dealer or something?

Also got another ? Could I put a 94'97 club cab body either 2x4 or 4x4 on a 98' frame without issues? Reason I ask is, I fould a MINT 95' for cheap that is a 2x4.

Back