12V puller piston options/opinions

Highfinance97

Garofalo Enterprises
I am putting together my new setup and am curious about pistons...

I was told about a set of Mahles part #286210 by Snedge and that they have a wider bowl to allow for more timing. Also they are the older 89-93 style with the narrow pin. So they are a couple of grams lighter.

I've never had to look into doing pistons before so nows my time . what do i need to know to figure out what ones will be the best in my setup and price range?

It don't matter which hole plugs you choose someone will always tell you there's a better choice.

I am putting together my new setup and am curious about pistons...

I was told about a set of Mahles part #286210 by Snedge and that they have a wider bowl to allow for more timing. Also they are the older 89-93 style with the narrow pin. So they are a couple of grams lighter.

I've never had to look into doing pistons before so nows my time . what do i need to know to figure out what ones will be the best in my setup and price range?

That would be the 89-91.5 piston? thought they changed pistons for the intercooled vs non intercooled 1st gens.

That would be the 89-91.5 piston? thought they changed pistons for the intercooled vs non intercooled 1st gens.

Yes. If memory serves the 286210 is from a non-IC application.

We have not been able to locate any rough CR numbers for those, but I read in another thread on here that they have a slightly smaller bowl volume than "typical" (whatever that is).

I have some non I/C 12V pistons I would sell. $120 for 6.

here a pic of those pistons ,,, wife thought it was funny with the cow

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Can someone explain this- when valve reliefs are cut like that, does it affect air flow into the piston bowl/flame travel at all? I would think having such a large machined step would affect it some, but then again I guess if you're spinning hard enough to worry about valve-to-piston contact, chances are the air flow no longer has a nice swirl coming in the cylinder.

so piston doesn't smack valve because of huge cam holding valve open longer for more air flow = MORE POWER

I realize that. My question pertained more towards lower-RPM, as would be seen in a daily driver.

A daily driver wouldnt run a cam of that size so it wouldnt have any relevance to your questiion. Daily drivers run drop in cams with a few eceptions LOL

Those look like about .250 thou reliefs which is what our 12v pistons are cut to go with a scheid cam. It could be others but looks smilar to our set.

Those look like about .250 thou reliefs which is what our 12v pistons are cut to go with a scheid cam. It could be others but looks smilar to our set.

scratch that, im an idiot that needs to pay closer attention to my replys before i post something. 150 thous is what i was supposed to type not .250. Maybe i will blame it on this damn cell phone.LOL

scratch that, im an idiot that needs to pay closer attention to my replys before i post something. 150 thous is what i was supposed to type not .250. Maybe i will blame it on this damn cell phone.LOL

good call ,,,, hhehehehhe

Looks like I'll be going with the Mahle 286050's

There is a very reputable pump shop in Missouri I did business with last year on an injection pump that uses 1st gen pistons, along with some machining, in their pulling motors. Michael I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

Back