12V starting issue

rbmedic75

Cummins Fanatic
Need some help guys one of the boys that work with me has a 95 12v he recently bought with higher mileage. Truck has ran great, had a fuel shut off solenoid wire corroded into when He bought the truck but started having the problem listed below so I thought I would try and help him out by throwing his question up on here. I'm not a 12Valve guru so???

My first thought after it continued to crank hard and slow with new Batts i the starter is going out, we have not ruled that out but if the issues are related that wouldn't explain why it wants to stall at low RPM. I know some of the 24 Valves have the adjustable throttle position sensor does his 12v and could it need adjusted or replaced?

OK, so a few weeks ago I had noticed that my truck had started cranking over more times than normal when starting. So I checked my batteries one was bad so I let it go for a week or 2, and it started getting worse. So I figured go get 2 new ones and problem solved. Not the case. Put both of them in at the store still same thing, so now it seems like it wants to crank even slower, but when I pump the throttle a few times while cranking it starts. Also another problem with my truck unknown if it is related or not but when I put it in gear either D or R and press the throttle to go it does with some hesitation but when I let off it either acts like it wants to stall or does stall. Have no idea. All help and ideas are welcome!

When it starts where is the idle speed set at? Should be 850 in gear when at operating temp.

I would look at possible fuel pressure or the injection pump might be getting weak for not wanting to start right

Your description and having to touch the throttle sounds like I would bump up the idle.

He is getting ready to order some gauges, I think he had intended on getting lift pump presure, EGT, and tranny temp for now. I just text him to ask about the idle RPM so we will look at that also. Thanks guys for the help thus far, i'll report back and see what we come up with.

OK, so a few weeks ago I had noticed that my truck had started cranking over more times than normal when starting. So I checked my batteries one was bad so I let it go for a week or 2, and it started getting worse. So I figured go get 2 new ones and problem solved. Not the case. Put both of them in at the store still same thing, so now it seems like it wants to crank even slower, but when I pump the throttle a few times while cranking it starts. Also another problem with my truck unknown if it is related or not but when I put it in gear either D or R and press the throttle to go it does with some hesitation but when I let off it either acts like it wants to stall or does stall. Have no idea. All help and ideas are welcome!

Your description and having to touch the throttle sounds like I would bump up the idle.

I concure, bump up the idle.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/adjustments/2nd_Gen-Idle.htm

When I first bought my '97 the previous owner had the idle set at 450-500RPM in gear....:doh:. If the AC was on it would kill the engine below 10MPH..

Last edited:
Check that starter.. Pull the back cover off of it and check the contacts. I just had the same damn problem with cranking over slowly. If they are worn get new ones if they are dirty just use a wire brush/file/sandpaper to clean it up. Just be careful because it is copper and isnt very strong.

But as for the other problem, yeah I agree with everyone else check the idle.

Slow cranking can be caused by burnt starter solenoid contacts.

Like others have said, the stalling is probable due to low idle speed. Idle speed on a 12v is set with a 10m bolt and is easy to adjust.

yeah Im thinking it may be a combination of things for him. He said his idle is at most 500 cold then drops to like 450 ish once warmed up, I know it low enough that it sounds like it has a Lope to it. so we are gonna adjust that for him. I expect the starter to still be an issue but we will see.

yeah Im thinking it may be a combination of things for him. He said his idle is at most 500 cold then drops to like 450 ish once warmed up, I know it low enough that it sounds like it has a Lope to it. so we are gonna adjust that for him. I expect the starter to still be an issue but we will see.

Ahh...the idle should increase to where it is actually set as the engine warms up. No the other way around. I can start my cold start 12-valve, which idles at about 900-950ish RPM in Park (for cold weather) when warm and it will idle at about 500RPM (if I dont give it any pedal) for a while until is warmed up some.

Yep, the lope means the idles way to low. When I first got mine and the idle was set at 450-500RPM warm it would lope like a motherfukker at stop lights with the AC on...until it stalled.

yeah idle was way low about 400 at a warm in park idle turned it up to about 800 cured the stall issue and the lope. He thinks its a little high but i told him to run it a while and reacclimate to it and we would go from there. Truck is still hard and slow to turn over but fires off with no touch of the throttle and le cranks than before, so fixed all that just gotta look into the starter. anyone got a good link on procedures to test the contacts and what nots in it. as well a part numbers/place to get parts for it. Or are we better off to get a replacement starter for him.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys

Disturbed you last name wouldnt happen to be Yost would it?

Last edited:
yeah idle was way low about 400 at a warm in park idle turned it up to about 800 cured the stall issue and the lope. He thinks its a little high but i told him to run it a while and reacclimate to it and we would go from there. Truck is still hard and slow to turn over but fires off with no touch of the throttle and le cranks than before, so fixed all that just gotta look into the starter. anyone got a good link on procedures to test the contacts and what nots in it. as well a part numbers/place to get parts for it. Or are we better off to get a replacement starter for him.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys

Disturbed you last name wouldnt happen to be Yost would it?

Phuck no! If it was i would hang myself. Denson is my last name

Back