12v w Compounds - Help diagnosing chatter

F8L GTO

Noise in question is at the very end of the video below.

1995 12v, head work, 7x014 sticks, s363/s475, stainless diesel piping kit and spring gate (possible culprit).

The video is at 1/4 ish throttle locked in 3rd. Chattering noise sounds like its coming from drivers side of the truck.

Also notice the boost gauge needle bouncing with the noise. The fuel pressure gauge is primary turbo pressure.

The spring gate is tightened all the way down right now. Ive run it at two turns in, and the noise appears at 20-25psi instead of 40psi. I still have the diaphragm gate that came on the turbo. Should I try installing that instead?

I do not know what happens if I were to stay on the throttle and "push through" the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azWqr9V43ls

Can't tell a whole lot from the video but it sounds like an exhaust leak or wastegate flutter.

Can't tell a whole lot from the video but it sounds like an exhaust leak or wastegate flutter.

I will try to get a better video on the way back to work. Would an exhaust leak cause the boost to flutter like that?

Any remedy for the spring gate if its all the way tight?

This may be a long shot but is there anything in the pump diaphragm region that could be chattering?

I used two springs of different sizes on my spring gate one inside the other. They are actually wound in different directions. My gate seems to stay pretty steady. It took a bit of trial and error but I'm happy with it so far. I just grabbed a bag of assorted springs from home dept and just used various combo's till I found a setup I liked.

It's like $8.00 for the bag of assorted springs I used. Probably the cheapest thing I bought for the truck, lol!

Back