12v Which camshaft???

hamlin

I Don't Know
I am in need of some more power my truck currently has 5x.016 contagious inj. pump set at 17*, 4k springs, afc modified for full travel, 2095 rack plug, htt 3 piece man., super hx40, airdog 150, full goerend 47re. Truck also has 3.55 gears and 315 bfg a/t's when I'm hooked to the sled I'm in 2nd tc locked and can only get about 3000 out of it and I am consistently about 12 feet out of first place . My question is what cam would you recommend or what to stay away from? thanks in advance

I would say lose the HX40. Change the gears to 4:10 And call Zach Hamilton.

Colt cams has some very good profiles. I would go with their 181/210 and switch to a bigger charger.

Considering how much more power you'll get, and the cost of the cam, you'd be much better off upgrading your turbo. You'll need to bump the timing too.

Yes i will check but the truck isn't de-fueling there's so much smoke it's rediculous. I have a garrett 64/68/14 ball bearing bought brand new from FI at their recommendation that I had on first and in overdrive it was undriveable. I would roll into the throttle in overdrive smoke then it would "chatter or bark" at me like the int and exh were fighting each other. When the 64 was on drive pressure never overcame boost pressure it was always a few psi below. I know part of my problem is the 3.55 and 315 tires cruising at 60 it runs about 1500rpm. Local shop said the 64 was way too big and FI couldn't believe I couldn't spool it

Is it just that my engine speed is too low cruising in od? or possibly try smaller exh housing? There's no way i could tow anything or even pass a car the way it ran with the 64

Is your afc tuned? It sounds like your just putting the fire out. Try either driving with the throttle so to speak or tune some fuel out down low.

If I took fuel out down low it would spool worse and afc is modified for full travel. If I further advance the timing wouldn't it start spraying out of the bowl. I am driving to and from the pulls up to hour and a half away

If you pull fuel out down low, that does not necessarily mean its gonna spool worse. More fuel does not mean better spool. You could be putting the fire out.

There is a lot that goes into knowing if your spraying out of the bowl. Pistons, injectors, etc. besides, if it's a pulling truck, who really cares if your in the bowl?

Last edited:
I meant I did take fuel out down low and it did make it worse. I still drive the truck to and from pulls and some during the week pistons are stock and injectors are 5/.016 sac 155*

If I took fuel out down low it would spool worse and afc is modified for full travel.

If you think that you obviously haven't tried it. It is pretty amazing what a well tuned afc will do. I know I was amazed when we finally got it right running a big single on the drag strip.

Back to the original question. If you haven't ported your head I would spend money there first. I never got the results from a cam on a stock head like others claim.

I meant I did take fuel out down low and it did make it worse. I still drive the truck to and from pulls and some during the week pistons are stock and injectors are 5/.016 sac 155*

I suggest you truly tune the afc. Did you check and then recheck for boost leaks?

I could get the 64 to run good under hard throttle but just on the highway I couldn't get it to respond like there isn't enough flow there or rpm

I could get the 64 to run good under hard throttle but just on the highway I couldn't get it to respond like there isn't enough flow there or rpm

With an auto and locked converter at those speeds AND an untuned afc it probably won't be any fun. It's not gonna light like a stock charger. You can't have a winning hand in both games.

I realize it will be laggy. Just not this bad maybe I will try to find a set of 285 to try

Back