12v Which camshaft???

A stock cam is more than capable of making good hp numbers up till a large number. The gears/tires are def an issue. How tight is the converter? I have a stock cam with my 480 and it spools and will hit my 4k gov very easy on a loose track. Gotta put my 5ks in.... I have 355 and 285's with 5x14's until my other set is done. I'm running at 26*

Last edited:
A stock cam is more than capable of making good hp numbers up till a large number. The gears/tires are def an issue. How tight is the converter? I have a stock cam with my 480 and it spools and will hit my 4k gov very easy on a loose track. Gotta put my 5ks in.... I have 355 and 285's with 5x14's until my other set is done. I'm running at 26*

Do you drive the truck or trailer it. I will see if I can find a set of 285 to throw on thank you

I would play with the governer springs, When i done my ppump swap on my 24v i sent the pump to a pump shop to have a few thing done and had them set the rmp to 4500rmps.

Long story be when i put the pump on the truck it was suppose to be at 600cc's and it blew a 2 feet flame out of the hood stack and wouldnt fall out of a tree. So i called the pump shop at a different location and told them what it was doing and they said i needed 200cc's more fuel.

I seen that the afc was slide back but it was suppose to be set to 600cc's. I slide it back and it helped alot but it would pull to around 3k rpm's and fall on its face. And if u tryed to pull a 6000 pd trailer it would hit the gov and get to jerking bad.

I pulled it in low 3rd with 354 gears and 315's and it would go down the track at around 3500 rmps then it would pull down to around 3200 rmps. I played with the gov springs and it would pull to 4k rmps hard on the road and would turn 4300rmps and felt like a different truck. I never got to pull it after that but the shop told me that my charger was holding me back the way they had it set up but after i changed it, it ran totaly different. And i was running a 66-71-16.

It may be worth a shot 2 play with the springs also!

Go to 4.10's, and check for boost leaks.

What rpm can you turn while going down the highway? Does it fall off at 3000? Can you get more out of it?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
You said that your AFC is modifed for full travel, but did you change the spring, or add a metered orifice to control the rate that it hits full travel? Mine has full travel, but it takes 60-70psi of boost to get it there. Fueling has to climb with the boost, or it's a laggy, smokey pig.

You were saying that it smokes a lot at highway speeds with a locked covereter. Why don't you unlock the coverter, or downshift? You can't build a 12v to run 3000-4000rpm and expect it to cruise @ 1500rpm. A stock stall converter, is actually fairly high ~2200rpm. That should work well, unless you lock it up too soon. I rarely lock mine on the street. Cruising @ 65mph in OD with an unlocked converter works well for me.

The cam is not much of issue either. I've managed to get 700hp+ out of mine with the stock cam, and I can't keep it together long enough to get it tuned right. That's with that puny little 160hp pump too.

Back