14 mm Mack Ppump usability?

Mountainman234

HillBilly
I've come across a couple of 450 hp Mack pumps pretty reasonable, in a search for a decent 12mm to start a conversion on a 24v 3.0 Cummins puller.

I realize that is a lot of pump but is it worth getting them?

I'm sure the cam and the governor speed are not desirable for the application but those are just part changes.

What else would need to be done if this was used?

I don't intend to jump straight to this pump as I only have the supporting modifications for a well tuned 12mm. I'm just looking down the road if this is worth my time. Thanks for the feedback. Ben

I have some brand new p pumps for macks and I was wondering the same thing. There is a boss that is different I think. And the shafts are on the wrong side. I'm not sure if they can be made to work or not.

Most Mack p-pumps are reverse rotation pumps that I have seen.

But I will be proven wrong or be correct

At that point of is it worth it don't get me wrong I would love to sell these pumps but is it worth all that. I have been retrofitting 2valve Mack's with the ones I have and they run great!!!! Not much for mods and they wake up and have much better smoke control. For on-road trucks adding an easy 30% with less smoke than before is working for me. When i got them I thought they mite work for the cummins guys but it looks like a little to much work.

It would seem as far as using the whole pump its definitely not worth it. But I'm still trying to determine if the 14mm barrels and plungers from the 8500 series pump will fit in the 7100 body. I haven't had the chance to get them side by side to see.

I looked into a 14mm pump and was told there was alot more work involved than building a 13mm.

Do u have a pic of the Mack pump,local friend put a Mack pump on a tractor engine years back when the guy was sled pulling with it. It turned a different direction also than the one that came off the tractor.

What makes you think that they are 14mm pumps, I doubt very much that a mechanical E7 at 450hp would need much more than a 12mm. I know the inline 8 pumps for the 998's are 12mm.

Mack drives there pumps off of the front and they sit on the passenger side of the engine.

The pumps I have are 12mm. And they put out twice what the ambecs i'm replacing them with do. Not sure the have the rite cam or anything for performance stuff but there great for the dump trucks i'm putting them in.

Well these pumps turned out to be quite different then described, someone had some bad information and was repeating it. At least I figured it out before I spent any money on em. Thanks for the feedback.

Back