15" wheels on drum equipped D70

Hurley

BLAKLUNG
running the 95 2500 in my sig - D70 with drums.

I'm looking at a pair of Bart 15x12" wheels, 3.5 or 4" BS. What kind of drum cutting is necessary to get a steel wheel in that range to fit? I'm just about to order a pair and start machining, but figured i could find some info here.

This thread offers some info, but most obviously the backspacing for the steel wheels isnt discussed in detail
3rd Gen 2wd - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

i have a 15" wheel in the back with a 4.5" bs no problems. i dont know what the difference is in drum size between 89-95 tho.

**edit**
i just measured mine, and they are 12"x3". i think yours are 14" from my searching.

Last edited:
i have a 15" wheel in the back with a 4.5" bs no problems. i dont know what the difference is in drum size between 89-95 tho.

**edit**
i just measured mine, and they are 12"x3". i think yours are 14" from my searching.

Measured the OD of the outermost lip, it's in the 15.5" range, so yeah, 14" is a definite. Assuming the wheel actually slips over the drum completely without any inner radius hitting, the fins are the only thing that needs to be removed for a 3.5-4" bs wheel

Should fit 2 guys I offroaded with ran HD d70's w/ 15" rims with zero altercations. I believe BS was 4-4.5 IIRC.

I have 15x10" steel wheels for my 95' junker. I bought them used so I couldn't order a certain back spacing. They will require a lot of grinding on the drum to make it work. I'm probably going to set the rear up on jack stands and put it in 1st gear and pull out the hand grinder. Best way I can see to make it fit and be somewhat balanced.

I have 15x10" steel wheels for my 95' junker. I bought them used so I couldn't order a certain back spacing. They will require a lot of grinding on the drum to make it work. I'm probably going to set the rear up on jack stands and put it in 1st gear and pull out the hand grinder. Best way I can see to make it fit and be somewhat balanced.

damn we think alike, I had just mentioned to my buddy last night that jackstands and a grinder would do the trick for the ribs....

a LOT of 1/4" wheels will be used hahaha - BUT, I would imagine a shop that is set up to turn drums that large will be able to flip the bit and turn down the outside (unless the arbor is too big). Either that or a machine shop with a bigass lathe

^^wonder why we have discrepancies between the responses?

is it possible to swap brakes, drum, and equipment from 1st gen d70? trip to junkyark might save some hassle.

this is how much room i have between the rim and drum.

67534107.jpg

Last edited:
damn we think alike, I had just mentioned to my buddy last night that jackstands and a grinder would do the trick for the ribs....

a LOT of 1/4" wheels will be used hahaha - BUT, I would imagine a shop that is set up to turn drums that large will be able to flip the bit and turn down the outside (unless the arbor is too big). Either that or a machine shop with a bigass lathe

^^wonder why we have discrepancies between the responses?

Call National Tire and Wheel...They sell 15 inch 8 lug wheels and they can most likely tell you what BS you need, A friend of mine is running 3.5 I believe on his late 90's 70...

Back