1500 Cummins - A semi-rowdy Daily Driver

I pulled the dash out this weekend. I didn't remember to get any before pictures, but it was destroyed. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the interior, but I know I want this truck to remain as light as possible. I may just make some brackets to hold what I want to keep and get rid of the rest. If I don't go that route, I'll probably build a dash for it.

Next step is to get some bucket seats ordered. Anyone recommend a specific brand/type? There's tons of options out there, but I'm somewhat concerned with how I'll fit around the shoulders. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs with pretty wide shoulders and this truck will remain a driver, so I want the seats to be somewhat comfortable.

Other than that, parts are starting to trickle in, so hopefully I can put a pretty decent dent in the punch list next weekend.

Attachments

• wilmesbm_1500_dashremoval.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_dashremoval.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wilmesbm_1500_dashremoval_2.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_dashremoval_2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Where at in jeffersonville was this thing? It had been on Craigslist for a little while. Looks like a really neat project for you, look forward to seeing your progress.

Where at in jeffersonville was this thing? It had been on Craigslist for a little while. Looks like a really neat project for you, look forward to seeing your progress.

I met the guy at the Flyin J so I can't really say. I got the impression that it changed hands between a couple of different people while it was up there. It kind of sounded like a group of buddies was working on it at the same time and each of them had it for a while? I don't know, the title/carfax doesn't confirm that theory.

I pulled the dash out this weekend. I didn't remember to get any before pictures, but it was destroyed. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the interior, but I know I want this truck to remain as light as possible. I may just make some brackets to hold what I want to keep and get rid of the rest. If I don't go that route, I'll probably build a dash for it.

Next step is to get some bucket seats ordered. Anyone recommend a specific brand/type? There's tons of options out there, but I'm somewhat concerned with how I'll fit around the shoulders. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs with pretty wide shoulders and this truck will remain a driver, so I want the seats to be somewhat comfortable.

Other than that, parts are starting to trickle in, so hopefully I can put a pretty decent dent in the punch list next weekend.

I bought a set of LT1 corbeau seats for mine.
The brackets will bolt up to your frame.

I met the guy at the Flyin J so I can't really say. I got the impression that it changed hands between a couple of different people while it was up there. It kind of sounded like a group of buddies was working on it at the same time and each of them had it for a while? I don't know, the title/carfax doesn't confirm that theory.

Yeah, jeffersonville is like 5 mile from my house, but I had never seen the truck out. I was just curious is all.

I bought a set of LT1 corbeau seats for mine.
The brackets will bolt up to your frame.

Thanks for the response. I've heard that those will bolt right up in the past, just not sure that I want to spend that much money on something that doesn't add any power. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

Weekly update. I made some brackets to hold the factory gauge cluster, headlight switch, and heater controls for the time being. All of the wiring is still in tact at the moment, just in case I decide to put a factory dash back in. If I go that route, or if I build a custom dash, it most likely will not happen until next winter. The goal is to get it under 5000 pounds, so anywhere I can shave weight, I'm willing to do so. That being said however, certain things have to remain functional. Hopefully with the dash out and the rear bumper off, I'll be fairly close.

I added a gauge pod with a 100 psi boost gauge, a 100 psi drive pressure gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge. Nothing special there, just the run of the mill stuff.

Other than that, I started to clean up the engine bay a little bit. It looks to me like whoever built the truck got it to the point where it was driveable and then stopped. There's just alot of loose ends to tie up, no big deal though.

Next up is clear headlight lenses and HID headlights while I'm waiting for the turbo, manifold, and injectors to get here.

If anyone has a set of VP injectors laying around that I can send in for cores, PM me. I'd prefer not to send in the set that's currently in the truck if at all possible.

Found this today while swapping out programmers. Can anyone verify which pump this is by the numbers on the tag?

Attachments

• 20160416_121014.jpg
    20160416_121014.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160416_121011.jpg
    20160416_121011.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
I've been slowly hacking away at this thing, but, sadly, I haven't been incredibly diligent about taking a ton of pictures. I'll get some updated pictures up soon, but here is the update:

Exterior:
-clear head light lenses
-H.I.D. head lights
-painted to match mirrors, grille, street scene bumper cover, tail light covers, roll pan, and diff cover

Interior:
-triple gauge pod with drive pressure, boost, and fuel pressure gauges
-removed bench seat and replaced with stock 40/20/40 bench seats
-B&M ratchet shifter

Engine:
-ARP Head studs
-Edge Drag Comp
-Airdog 165
-6 x .013s
-SXE 369
-BD Power t4 race manifold
-JGS drive pressure filter
-Timbo APPS
-Homemade breather setup, battery hold downs, air intake, etc.

Transmission:
-Built 2wd 48re with manual valvebody from Kingspeed with DPC converter. Not yet installed
-Derale remote trans coolers

Suspension:
- Removed all but two longest leafs
- CalTracs

It's slowly getting there, but still has a ton of little stuff to button up. I don't have any seat time in it yet. I did drive it down the road the other night, but it didn't seem like the programmer was cooperating. I need to double check the MAP sensor connection/wiring, I'm not entirely sure what the previous owner had going on there. If it's not that, it could be the wire tap on the pump. My goal was to have all the big stuff on my punch list completed by the end of May and drive it all summer long with the intent of making a list of stuff that needs to be addressed this coming winter. If all goes well, I should be close to reaching that goal.

Here's where I need your guys' help. I need to make a decision on a wheel and tire combo. I like the setup in the picture that I attached, so I'm looking for something similar to that. I'd like to run a wider tire in the back as long as there's no major downfall to that theory. It currently has 305s on it now, so I know they'll fit. Not sure on what to run up front though.

Open to suggestions from guys who have played with 2wds in the past. I'm looking for a good wearing tire, but something that will hopefully hook somewhat decently on the street. I'm leaning towards 420s, but that'll depend on what size rim I go with.

Also, does anyone recognize the wheels in the attached picture?

Attachments

• wilmesbm_1500_6.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_6.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
Back