16" Wheels on 3rd gen Dodge?

BFD99

The Stig
Okay I've heard it is possible, but just takes the correct BS and offset to clear the larger rear brakes that the 3rd gens have vs. the 2nd gen. I am looking for 16" because the slick options are severely lacking in the 17" size. Tallest size I can find is 28" tall, a Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial 2. I figure switching to 16" opens my options up tremendously to a taller tire. Does anybody know how much offset the 16" wheels would need to clear the brakes on the rear of my 06 2wd? Looking at picking up a set of 16" Black steel wheels in correct spacing to mount some slicks onto. Thanks. I've searched for quite a while on this and can't seem to find a straight answer. Thanks.
Dex
Here's the MTs I was talking about.
P295/45R17
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires Wheels
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires Wheels

Last edited:
m&h makes a drag radial that is 29.5 in a 17 but that is the biggest i have found. i would like some info on this also because i think i may go with 16s on my 05.
here are the m&hs (g) 390/40R17

I thought you could run brake calipers off a 2nd gen. for the rear. Not sure on the front.

Watching this one

I just took about 1/4 inch off my calipers with a grinder and ran a set of 16" slicks on my 3rd Gen. That's what's on the truck in my avatar.

truck.jpg

what are the advantages running 16's.......at the track...i need a taller tire with my 410 rear...29.5 dont cut it...

George, have you tried a pass with higher rpm enabled? 29.5 tall tire at 3200 rpm motor vs 4000rpm is a pretty good difference, and you have the supporting mods to turn the motor that quick.

Pretty much and stick with steel wheels they usually have better clearance due to thinner material.

Check local craigslists. I picked up my 3.42s for $400 from guy that switched to 3.73s

Last edited:
actually seems like you could check out the forums for off road guys looking to swap 4.10's

So I have a question, if you have to grind a 1/4 inch off of the back, what do you have to do on the front? (4x4 truck)

I've been told just swapping the backing plates from an '02 is all that is needed.

Could a person just remove the backing plates? It is just a race only truck

we installed the calipers off of an 02 and it worked fine. no grinding or anything. we machined our rotors down to the right size as well.

cost a bit but worth it. and worries of grinding too much.

Back