160 pump hold?

Power

Will 160 pump hold up?
I've read and been told conflicting reports on 160 pumps... Currently I have maxed out 160 pump... I wanted more from my rat rod so I went from 191 DV to full cuts (didn't make that much difference in power). Now I want to change the 7x12 industrial injection injector for 5x18... I'maintaining 55 psi fuel pressure with current set up. I'm only making around 38 lbs of boost with s300 60mm turbo... After the injectors I'm thinking I need to change the turbo? It's just a toy and I want to have fun in it.

Does it still smoke @ 38lbs? I'm assuming it would. I would really look into that before adding more fuel.

I made 675hp on a 160 pump and there are plenty of guys that made more. As far as holding up, just keep a good cool supply of fuel to it and you should be fine. Only time I hurt one was from my lift pump shutting off @ 3500 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made 518/907 on an unbenched 160 pump that later was maxed/balanced and put on my friends p pump 24v and made 770/1???. I forget what the torque # was. They have some potential though. My 518 was with a II silver 64 and he did his with a S472 or S475 IIRC

It gets smokey when wot... It's not smokey when normal driving.

I'm not making crazy power like others but my 160 with 181's and a #10 plate has over 500K miles on it with no problems. Only been off the engine once when I swapped the engine from one truck to another and put a tappet cover gasket on while it was out.

Last edited:
Riddle me this.... What's the difference between psi I'm seeing from fuel gauge that reads off ppump and volume the PPP actually gets? I'm seeing about 48psi at idle. I only have the stock mechanical pump. If I'm not getting enough "volume" but still maintaining psi that would make sense on why I'm not getting the boost and power I thought i should have.

Something funny is going on if you're only seeing 38lbs....I saw 60psi out of a single with a stock-ish 160hp pump. Just had a rack plug, more timing, 024's, and no fuel plate.

Edit: Unless that's where your turbo is wastegated at...

Yeah... So it's a maxed out 160 pump with, full cut DV, 60# springs, 7x12 sac nozzle injectors, 60mm s300 turbo, ported head, 26deg timing, 4k gov PAC springs, stock exhaust manifold, completely seated wastegate thats plugged. Egt at cruising are 600 and 1200 at wot in 5th. It spins the tires n 5th for a second. When I changed from 191 DV to full cut there wasn't much of any difference in performance... It's just sounds more killer ! That leads me to believe its a lack of fuel? However my fuel gauge reads 48-54 psi????

I don't have one... I have stock pp thTs it... I have 1/2" feed
Line and 3/8 return line... The overflow valve on the 160 pump is a 180 pump valve with a heavier spring.

A quality electric lift pump would be a good investment since you are power hungry. Get a better over flow valve too once you get a better lift pump. Tork Tek makes OFV's for electric lift pumps.

Yeah since I already ordered the 5x18 and are two wks out I should prolly just go ahead and put a lift pump on as well as chance the ofv. I just didn't think right off the bat a lift pump was needed bc of my psi (48-55)?

Last edited:
What lift pump is recommended that won't kill my bank? I have even heard of people Putting Holley black pumps and they last for yrs? It's not that I'm power hungry I just expected a 3400 lbs rat rod to be scary fast... Right now it's just fast.

Last edited:
OFV's are cheap! Fuelab gets my recommendation. The new prodigy pump is pretty badass.

I had a Carter on my 1st gen for a few years that seemed to work fine. I'll be curious to see what it does with the 5x18s. Also, what's "maxed" about the 160 pump? Rack plug? Holders? Racked the barrels? Fuel plate (or none)?

Also, wide open after a few seconds is when you should check fuel pressure. It could be 48 at idle and nearly 0 at WOT.

Last edited:
Full rack tvl, no fuel plate, afc spring...., not sure about racked barrels? At idle it's 48 psi, when wot for a few seconds it's 55 psi.

with my 160 pump i can easily peg my egt gauge with fuel plate removed, 7x.009's and rack plug. I have stock lift pump with a pusher pump feeding it.

how is the smoke at WOT?

Smoke at wot is thick black when the boost hits... It's doesn't really smoke anytime after before that.

does your little 60mm clean the exhaust up? Or is it thick black when the turbo is fully spooled?

Sounds like you're out of air.

Back