160 pump idles smoother with loose dv holders

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
Anybody ever here of this? Does this mean I have warped barrels or something? I bought the truck a year ago and the shims were a little loose on the dv holders so I snugged them up to 40 ft lbs and the tuck ran like crap. Loosened them up and it idles/drives smooth. Any ideas?

Pull them out and clean them. Make sure there installed correctly. They torque to 85lb ft in one sweeping motion with oil on the threads and o-rings. Most all 160 pumps have copper washers on the bottom of the dv bore as well.

I was having this problem before and after installed some new dv's . I removed the copper washers when I swapped dvs. One pump shop said 42 ft lbs. I will try it with oiled threads and with one sweeping motion at 85 ftlbs.

Do you mean the dv holder itself ( the one that takes a special socket) or the nuts on either side? It's the nuts that hold down the the whole barrel and dv assembly that's affecting the way the truck runs.

Last edited:
42 ft-lbs sounds a bit high for those. They are 10mm thread, IIRC.

What's your definition of runs like crap. Is it an even miss? Lopes? If the barrel assembly turns as you torque it, it'll change the injected amount of fuel, causing it to lope a bit, or even just cause a miss at idle.

After I owned the truck for a few days I noticed it was missing a shim from one of the barrels. So I checked the rest and most of them were loose. There were no signs of the Barrels being adjusted. So I snugged them all and it was hard to start it without giving it some pedal and when I did get started I missed badly, worse in gear. I even went back and adjusted( snugged/loosened) them while the truck was idling in gear with the parking brake on until it idled smooth. I also changed out the stock 131s for some 026s in August -same thing , loose nuts = smooth idle, torqued = barely start,idle,bad miss. I also put in some rebuilt 215 injectors in September of 2012 - same issue. So I racked the barrels since I figured the pump may be out of balance anyways. But it does idle/run smooth with the nuts barely tight enough to hold the barrels shims from sliding out. There is one place in my state that can balance p pumps. I just wasn't sure if it was a pump balance issue or something else.

How thick are the shims in your pump? Are the shims on either side of the barrel the same thickness? We need a clean micrometer measurement, not an eyeball for this information.

Some of them are stamped with the thickness. I'll put the calipers on the others when I get home from work.

Sounds like you have two different thickness shims on the same barrel...it cocks the barrel at an angle and puts everything in a bind, which causes your hard start issue and miss

Back