188/220 over 181/210 Test Results

rjp

Go or Blow
Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the 181/210 Hamilton cam results with the mods in my Sig. The first two pulls are Fourth gear pulls, the third pull is fifth and the fourth is sixth. It was very hard to light this 1.28 exhaust housing on this inertia dyno,it was very laggy and smoked the whole time. Never the less my main objective here was to test this cam to see if there was any gains to be had by changing over to the 188/220.

photobucket-2060-1320460714420.jpg

Here is the pulls with the 188/220, they were made in fourth gear to match the previous fourth gear pulls on the 181/210. I tried all kind of different approaches to getting this big turbo to light and this is what i ended up with. The top two are ridding the brake all the way threw in order to sustain enough load that it would keep pulling. The bottom two are with a little brake in the beginning and rolling into the throttle.

photobucket-1478-1320460621282.jpg

This last one is the best fourth gear pull on the 181/210 and the best 188/220 pull overlapped. As you can see its about a 110hp gain over the curve and just shy of 30 peak hp over all.

photobucket-2950-1320460671088.jpg

Thanks Zach, Cant say enough about how well you know your product. It was a pleasure on my end,especially after seeing the 110hp gain over the curve.
08Mega,4x4,68rfe,CP3X2,Testing a New Hamilton Cam,#110 Springs,Chromoly Push Rods,P&P head,Fireringed,Flux4sticks,ARP625's,,,Sperco,Cunningham Rods ,SuncoastCompTransmission,BGChrysler Tuned,GARRETT SINGLE,Glacier GHD,WCC Intake,Big thanks to Ron@Suncoast & Erick@BrownsDiesel Pictures by ronniepene - Photobucket Diesel Performance!!!!!!!!!

So when guys say "oh yeah it definatley pulls harder" but then throw a pissy fit cause it only made 25-30hp more than the last setup. Here's your answer

So when guys say "oh yeah it definatley pulls harder" but then throw a pissy fit cause it only made 25-30hp more than the last setup. Here's your answer

Thats correct. Zach wanted me to run the 108lsa but due to my Cunningham rods there wasn't enough lob separation to clear the rods, therefore i ended up having to run the 188/220 106lsa. Oh well, after all this is just a daily driver.

It is nice to see the difference we have seen replicated on a build we had nothing to do with. Greg Hogue and Don M. have always called B.S. on our results. The difference between our new high lift 181-210 and our 188-220 look like the difference between our old low lift 181-210 and the Helix 2.
Ronnie, care to put in a Helix2, I'll pay for the labor.

By the way look at 65mph ;). If you had the 108 LSA, you would have noticed another 12-15hp and even quicker spool.

Last edited:
It is nice to see the difference we have seen replicated on a build we had nothing to do with. Greg Hogue and Don M. have always called B.S. on our results. The difference between our new high lift 181-210 and our 188-220 look like the difference between our old low lift 181-210 and the Helix 2.
Ronnie, care to put in a Helix2, I'll pay for the labor.

By the way look at 65mph ;). If you had the 108 LSA, you would have noticed another 12-15hp and even quicker spool.

Is that suppose to be a trick question? Thanks but no thanks Zach. i would be willing to try a 188/220 with the lobe separation a little wider. I know this 106lsa is all you had on the shelf at the time but if the 108 was cut just like the 181/210 and the 188/220 106lsa wouldn't it work for my set up?

So there's a clearance problem with the Cunningham rods?

So there's a clearance problem with the Cunningham rods?

The Cunningham rods must be a little wider than say R&R. I have yet to research that amount but it will definitely hit the lobes on the 108lsa model.

Last edited:
I have cunningham rods and a 188/220 waiting to go into the 6.7. Guess I better check and see which version I have.

I have cunningham rods and a 188/220 waiting to go into the 6.7. Guess I better check and see which version I have.

Yes sir, It will roll 1/3 off TDC and hit as well as Counter clock wise 1/3 and hit.

It looks like there's a 20 degree delta in ambient air temperature. It doesn't really seem like it is an accurate comparison or has one of the numbers been corrected?

ill be going from the 181/210 to the 188/220 also in the next 2-3 weeks..i promised zach will be posting results, with no other mod changes.....THANKS ZACH......

Last edited:
Here is a short clip that shows how well it turns on through a few gear changes.
[ame="http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/ronniepene/?action=view&current=photobucket-4667-1319931021380.mp4"]188/220 Hamilton Cam video by ronniepene - Photobucket[/ame]

The issue withe the rods has to do with the O.D. of the cam and the width of the lobes, I believe you can turn the rods around and clear the cam. I had the 106LSA cut on a steel blank for some in house testing. It has a smaller core diameter and the lobes are around .900" as opposed to 1.020. Ron, at worst you can cut down core a bit on the nose of the cam if you cannot turn the rods around.

Zach, what would be your recommendation for mine with whats listed in my sig? I don't drag or pull a sled, I dont currently tow anything heavy but I am thinking seriously about a decent size 5th wheel camper in the near future. The truck is not my daily driver, mainly my hobby and weekend toy but nothing crazy.

I've got a Spartan Billet Helix 2 here at the house but having seconds thought on it, mainly due to what I've read on the forums.

Last edited:
181-210 would be a great choice but if you are looking for all you can get the 188-220 will definitely better and there is no clearance issues at all.

Back