1900-2200 rpm studder 1000hp pull truck

Foxrider12390

Hey hows it going. 2005 Cummins, I have been chasing my tail for a few weeks now trying to figure out a studder/hesitation on light acceleration from 1900-2200 rpm.
Freshly rebuilt motor less than 5000 miles on. I don't think it did it before I parked the truck for winter. If I pull the tune out of the truck I can still feel it but its much more noticeable once its tuned. I have data logged it and my tuner doesn't seem to see anything wrong. I'm running out of ideas/options as to whats wrong. Rudys is right around the corner and I'm running out of time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As of right now whats done to the truck
Exergy 12mm cp3
Stainless diesel 2.5 charger
B&B side draft intake
F1 150% injectors
airdog 200 lift pump

What I have done to the truck to try and fix the issue
Check valve lash
Tighten injectors
tighten crossover tubes
replaced map sensor
reset APPS
Changed fuel filters

Does it do it in every gear ?
Does it do it every time or only under load?
4x4 I assume, does it do it in 2 and 4 wheel drive?

are you getting any compressor surge during this time or is it more like hitting a fuel limiter? And what are you using for tuning? HPT?

Does it do it in every gear ?
Does it do it every time or only under load?
4x4 I assume, does it do it in 2 and 4 wheel drive?

yes every gear
underload/ trying to launch or even cruising if it gets around 2k it studders
yes 2 and 4 wheel drive

are you getting any compressor surge during this time or is it more like hitting a fuel limiter? And what are you using for tuning? HPT?

at this time no, no compressor surge. it seems like its a fuel limiter. Yes HPT by Gordon at Innovative.

Well think that eliminates fuel lol.

Does it happen before or after a gear shift?

It's possibly the 12mm dropping and then recovering rail. The larger pumps can surge in lower rpms.

I'm betting cp3 since it does it even with no tune. You just feel it more with tuning since the fluctuations in commanded fuel is different.

well that's unfortunate. Considering its a new exergy pump. Ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I still think it's tune related. If it just started with the only thing that changed being the tune, that's pretty indicative of a tune issue.

In for this as well, been having surge issues with my 12mm and 100% overs.

Still need to data log and send it back to anarchy though

I pulled the HP tune out last night and stuck a smarty back in just to try it out. Still the same issue. I'm leaving in 5 days to go pulling in NC and its not looking promising with a truck that runs like crap.

Turn 5,000 and forget about the shudder at low rpm if it's a pulling truck.

In for this as well, been having surge issues with my 12mm and 100% overs.

Still need to data log and send it back to anarchy though

Which came first the shudder or cp3?

Notice a trend here...... both of yall have the 12mm exergy.

Turn 5,000 and forget about the shudder at low rpm if it's a pulling truck.

Amen!

I remember my old dragon slayer cp3 on my other truck would have a slight pulse til rpms increased. Once it was 2k plus it was just a matter oh holding on.

Todd @ TC diesel has his biggest CP3 available for race/pull applications that's so aggressive it's only designed to spin high rpms, otherwise it's not something wanted for the street.

Last edited:
Back