1947 Dodge WDX-31

poolmike

Cabana Boy
I've been working on this truck in my spare time. A good solid tow rig project. Installing a 12 valve Cummins, Allison 2000 trans, P-30 step van axles, Disc brakes w/hydroboost, power steering with a reverse rotation Dodge box bolted in stock location. I'm a rookie to modding the 5.9, so I will be asking a lot of questions.

Here are some pics.

The truck where I found it...

DSC_0689.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

It was a Collingswood, NJ Fire truck

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

Got it home and washed the moss and tree sap off it.

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

Mocking up mounts and steering box, yes the frame will get some reinforcements....

DSC_0224.jpg

It fits. I will require some form of high mount turbo.

DSC_0230.jpg

Cab coming off..

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

I've been taking an auto body class at the local tech school 2 nights a week. So far I have the body work done on everything but the cab. The fenders, running boards, and lower grill shell are painted black. 3 coats of black base, 4 coats clear.

DSC_0582.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0581.jpg

More to come as the project gets moving. The chassis and cab are currently at the media blaster, hopefully getting them back this week

Here is a in cab pic with the SAE#2 flywheel housing attached. It will be tight in there....

DSC_0227.jpg

Nice swap. Truck looks to be in great condition. keep the pics coming

hooray for it NOT being a ford

very cool project.. nice work you are doing.. congrats.. oh i like the jeep in the picture also.. always wanted to do a 8.3 in one of those..

very bad a$$ project!

I would have left the paint the way it was, maybe clearcoat over it, but thats just me

keep the pics coming

Thanks for the compliments. I would have left the body alone, but I would love to have at least one old car that my wife won't be embarrassed to be seen in. Not to mention, the fire dept left all kinds of holes in the cab that needed to be addressed. It has been a fun project. Once I get the cab back, I will finish the body work on it and get it in epoxy primer. I will need to get the engine/trans mounted and fab the firewall/floor before body class starts again in September.

This is the stock P-30 step van front axle. I have since narrowed it 9" to bring it close to the stock '47 specs. this axle drops the front end roughly 3"

DSC_0217.jpg

Here is the Allison 2000 needing a good clean up. Makes the 4L80 in the back look tiny.

DSC_0218.jpg

Last edited:
Finally located an action shot of this truck this morning. After searching for 1 year for any kind of vintage Collingswood, NJ fire pics, I stumbled on this one, which is exactly how the previous owner described the truck...service body, spot light, generator, and the siren mounted to the roof before he removed it and mounted it to the fender.

vintageDodge.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up the cab from the media blaster. Looks real nice, only 3 little pinholes that I could barely see. Nothing that can't be mig'd up in no time. I should have it in epoxy primer by the weekend.

DSC_0141.jpg

Inside roof pic

DSC_0140.jpg

passenger side floor, no problems

DSC_0139.jpg

You can see one hole at the top of the rocker

DSC_0138.jpg

Driver side rocker, looks perfect

DSC_0137.jpg

Driver floor area, no issues there

DSC_0136.jpg

under seat

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

back of the cab

DSC_0133.jpg

Overall, a very solid piece! to think that people drive from here to the west coast to find a rust free vehicle....They are still right here in the rust belt.

Looks bad ass, gives hope for my dads 47 Dodge project. What is the rearend from the P30? If its a D70 or D70HD I have not had very good luck with them behind a modded VE let alone a P7100 Cummins.

Keep up the great work.

the rear is a Dana 80. It won't remain stock for long. It is low mileage (church bus) 9,000 miles on it and in good shape. I haven't checked into aftermarket parts for it, but when the time comes, I'll dump some good stuff in there.

Sweet project! I lovethose black fenders. Our Dad's truck is roughly the same as yours. It was a tar truck though, so not as nice as yours. We're putting IFS front suspension from a 74 C30, and a disc brake 10 lug D70HD from a P-30 chassis. I'd check your rear axle. It is very rare that a P-30 had a D80. Most had D70's in them. That Allison 2000 looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see this truck done. I doubt we start on his until the winter.

It looks awesome! I was gonna vote for patina until I saw the fenders. pure beauty.

Woulda looked cool in its original state clear coated.. Gonna be a sweet truck when done in the nice glossy black.. What you doin for a bed on it?

Sweet project! I lovethose black fenders. Our Dad's truck is roughly the same as yours. It was a tar truck though, so not as nice as yours. We're putting IFS front suspension from a 74 C30, and a disc brake 10 lug D70HD from a P-30 chassis. I'd check your rear axle. It is very rare that a P-30 had a D80. Most had D70's in them. That Allison 2000 looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see this truck done. I doubt we start on his until the winter.

Actually, I just went to visit the media blaster today to give him a little push...gotta get that chassis cleaned up. I checked and it is a Dana 70HD under there. Good enough for this rig.

Woulda looked cool in its original state clear coated.. Gonna be a sweet truck when done in the nice glossy black.. What you doin for a bed on it?

The fenders, running boards, and the lower grill shell are done in black. The rest of the truck will be Patriot Blue Pearl. Haven't decided on the bed situation. It all depends on funding. I would love an aluminum flatbed with dumping abilities, but it might get a fifth wheel and some rear fenders until I get the cabbage for a bed.

Bombed it with epoxy primer today. Auto body class starts on the Sept. 13, so I need to get to work on this thing.

Filled in all of the extra holes in the dash

DSC_0145.jpg

Filled in all of the holes in the firewall

DSC_0144.jpg

Some work is needed on the back of the cab....

DSC_0143.jpg

overall, it is in really good shape

DSC_0142.jpg

Last edited:
How Did I miss this? Great Job Mike!

I think an Aluminum Roll Back would be cool on that thing?

Awesome! I keep thinking that these would look sweet with a wedge back bed, aluminum sides and a sweet wood floor, or big stacks with ss fenders over 2 axles. lol That blue pearl willl be sweet! I hope our Dad's cab is as clean as yours! And I agree, the D70HD should work great. A D80 would be cool, but it is hard enough finding them lately.

Last edited:
Back