1965 FORD with perkins 354 for free!

86Chummins

this has been a great weekend! i went to an auction and i bought a mack dump truck for $3000 and a 1965 ford f600 grain truck for 600$. sold the mack over the phone for 3700 about 10 minutes after i bought it:Cheer: so i got the ford for free. i got it runnin at the auction site and drove it home! it even dumps!:rockwoot: it has a poorly running straight 6 and a 4 speed. lights and some guages work. only a little rust on the cab corners. i had thoughts of putting a 12 valve in it because it would be so easy. but i was poking around on craigslist and found a 354 perkins with a 5 speed and a divorced transfer case about 45 minutes from me, best part is he only wants $300 for it all!!! im going to pick it up in the morning. already have the tcase sold for 300$ :lolly: the only thing it needs is a rod bearing and prolly the crank turned. the motor supposedly has less than a thousand miles on it. i cant wait to get this swap going. il post pics up tomorrow. hopefully the motor is turbocharged! if not it will be before it goes in. is there anything to look out for on the 354's? thanks!

Make sure it has a balancer on it not just a pulley.AgKits.com
Is a great place to get parts.
Lot cheaper than perkins
Dale

thanks dale, ive followed your threads and was inspired, i will look tomorow to make sure it has a balancer. the clutch is brand new! i want to put a turbo on it, is there anything you suggest changing internally while it is apart? thanks

Nothing to change inside.The 354 and the 372 have small intake ports but doing what you are wanting it for they will do fine.If the Perkins don't have a balancer could be hard to find one.Yhey are very $$$$$$.Yours could have a splined front on the crank are a keyed that has a compresion sleave holding it on.Years ago I made one for a guy that put a Perkins in a suburban.I michened the pulley off the perkins and used a smallblock chevy balancer turned the center down to match the hub made from the prkins pulley then bolted them together.He put about 70,000 miles on it no troubles.He said the motor was smoother at idle.

Dale

thanks dale! i will prolly just make an exhaust header and mount an hx35 or something on it. ive never seen a pump like this one so could you tell me how to turn it up? thanks

The exhaust manifold is going to be a pain to make alot different from Cummins only has 3 ports.
I will try to find my pictures of how to turn your pump up.

Dale

thanks dale, ya i looked at it agian today. i have a pipe bender so that will make it easier but i couldnt find any manifolds for sale! im sure there are a few out there that could be bought for dirt cheap but they arent advertised! i still have time to look though. any info on the pump would be great

ive looked through that thread a few times dale lol, i still cant figure out how to upload pictures on here

Do you have them on photo bucket are on another hosting site.

Dale

Back