1968 corvette Drag/Street project

That car is awesome. It is cool to see a project like this. Not everyon looks at a stingray and thinks Cummins conversion. Bravo!

Yep, it is just a Sikkens epoxy primer. I might wait until the winter to paint it because I have other projects I want to get buttoned up this summer as well.

eek... I've always been told leaving a vehicle unpainted - just primered will hold any moisture that gets onto it.. thus causing it to rust quicker...just a thought

eek... I've always been told leaving a vehicle unpainted - just primered will hold any moisture that gets onto it.. thus causing it to rust quicker...just a thought

The frame is completely covered in primer and Paint. The rest of the car would be awesome if it rusted so we can cut some weight....

That car is awesome. It is cool to see a project like this. Not everyon looks at a stingray and thinks Cummins conversion. Bravo!

The looks at the GoodGuys Heartland Nationals and the comments were priceless. Cant wait to see what we can get her to do in the coming months.

It's alright. Like nick said, all the metal was primed with wash primer, then epoxy'd and shot with Sikkens Lesonal. The Lesonal is supposed to with stand chemicals being on it and so far it has worked out great.

None worth posting. LOL Some how we lost 50hp on this dyno. It never loaded right and the shop owner was worried about getting soot on his ceiling. We'll just have to see how it does at the track. The new TC should make for a fun launch, and I just switched rear gears too. Then maybe we'll finish the spray too.

We ended up getting it on an 1/8th mile track for some test passes. It didn't end well. Although, the new higher stall convertor helped a lot, and the gear change was well worth it. The first pass I made had a 1.80 60'. It probabaly would have been better if I would have gotten the tires hotter as the car spun pretty hard off the line. I could leave with boost and when it shifted it never got under the turbo. However, the trans started doing goofy things and would not shift. The first 2 passes we found the TP cable was coming unhooked after the burn out. The third pass it still wouldn't shift and at the end of the track it wouldn't move at all. But sometimes it will move and other times it will not. It started making a low metallic growl/grind on the way back from the cool down lanes and I knew it wasn't good. The TP cable was still hooked up this time. I should also add that after the burn out on pass 2 I flipped the lock up switch and it killed the engine. I restarted it and tried it agian, bam same thing. This is weird because it is set up in the valvebody to only lock in 2nd up. So it has to be in 2nd gear to lock. not 1st. I don't know exactly what happened but it isn't good.

Anthony, yes. He thinks I fried the forward clutch due to the TP cable being unhooked. He said at idle it would have around 90psi and at full throttle around 175psi or higher, and I may have had about 110psi while it was going down the track. So the whole time it was slipping the forward clutches. Dam the luck. I can tell you there won't be a TP cable next year. It will be fixed wide open. LOL

Anthony, yes. He thinks I fried the forward clutch due to the TP cable being unhooked. He said at idle it would have around 90psi and at full throttle around 175psi or higher, and I may have had about 110psi while it was going down the track. So the whole time it was slipping the forward clutches. Dam the luck. I can tell you there won't be a TP cable next year. It will be fixed wide open. LOL

That is what Id recommend as well, and go to a full manual valve body

Does anyone know if it will hurt the tranny in a race only vehicle to run around with the Throttle Valve Cable adjusted to command full pressure at idle?

Does anyone know if it will hurt the tranny in a race only vehicle to run around with the Throttle Valve Cable adjusted to command full pressure at idle?

From what I have been told, no it won't. I know of a few guys running them on the street that way and they haven't had any problems.

Back