1985 Volkwagen Vanagon

You won't need a parachute at the big end of the track....just pop the topper up!

Those things are pretty cool little campers. I'd be interested to see what the reserve price was.. That $29k Buy It Now price seems steep.

Great vehicles. I bought an '85 vanagon(bus type, not camper) used in '86 with 13k miles on it. had the heads done at 125k, and lost the motor at 225k(felt like a timing chain broke). My wife and kids cried when they hauled it off. Wish I'd kept it and fixed it up. I'd love to put a Cummins in it somewhere and drive around pulling a trailer with it just for the stares.

Last edited:
Those things have a cult like following. Cool machines but not 20k worth.

As my friend who had one until recently, he said to get above 30 mph in a gas version was slip the clutch, floor it in 1st, shift and floor in 2nd, shift and floor in 3rd. He lived in Washington state and said it was 2nd floored going up those mountains at 25mph.

Seems like if he gets that much for it might be worth restoring these.

Sent from my Toilet Explorer

I got drunk in high school one night and took a ride in one of these rape mobiles with a random hippie that worked at the coffee shop next door to the restaurant we ate at. It didn't occur to me until after we got out that we could have been cut up into little pieces and fed to his pet snakes. Sweet ass rig none the less.

Turbo, injectors, auto pump rotor head(11mm)
Will require a clutch to hold it
Intercooler would be good if there is none one it
But should be doable with good relyability
I run 140hp out of a 90hp motor 150mi per day with no issues and 45-50mpg

Drove one of those from Baltimore to San Diego with a set of vise grips on the back brake lines that split 300 miles into the trip. Crazy fuel mileage on the flats but lost all gains in the mountains. You could ride a bike up some of those hills faster.

Drove one of those from Baltimore to San Diego with a set of vise grips on the back brake lines that split 300 miles into the trip. Crazy fuel mileage on the flats but lost all gains in the mountains. You could ride a bike up some of those hills faster.

Why am I not shocked to learn a guy from Baltimore owned one of these??

I don't want to know the backstory, or where the bodies are buried LOL

Ours got right around 20mpg. They aren't that bad in the hills. Nothing like the old gutless air cooled motors. Good brakes too.

Back