1995 Automatic Trans: Won't Move

Meyers Farms

I just picked up a bone stock 1995 12v 2wd auto truck with 267k miles. The body is in great shape and the truck runs very well. I'm unsure if it's ever had any trans work.

I bought it with a bad trans because I have a good one to swap in it. Before I do that I want to make sure it's not a simple fix for the original trans.

The original owner said it was driving fine one day and he heard a "pop" from the trans and it quit pulling. Right now it will not do anything in any gear including reverse. When I put it in gear it feels like it's not trying to engage at all. The other thing I noticed is that I don't have to push the brake to get in or out of park. The linkage all appears to be working fine.

Any help is appreciated, my only experience is manual trans so the auto is all new to me.
Thanks!

Last edited:
If you put it in park and can still move the truck by pushing it, the output shaft is broke. Pull the overdrive section and replace the shaft.

Park will hold the truck. Also fluid is at the proper level and does not smell/appear burnt.

Input shaft may have broken then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Input shaft may have broken then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had thought about this, just seems like it would be hard to do on a bone stock truck under normal driving conditions. Sounds like I'll be swapping transmissions, unless there are any other ideas?

Back