1997 12 Valve Build

Runaway_Diesel

RIPNDIP
Hey guys, first time starting a thread on here, but I've been following build threads and doing research on CompD for months now. So, I decided to try and start a build thread on my 1997 12 Valve. The whole engine is out of the truck at the moment, so I decided to go ahead with a mild build.

Right now, the engine is about 96% complete and only waiting on a few things to make it fully complete. Luckily, I've got the expertise of Jeremy of Disturbed Diesel Performance living right across the the road from me to help me with everything I need.

All I am looking for out of this thread is the opinions of people who have done this for longer than I have and to keep anyone updated on the build. That is if anyone is even interested. :hehe:

At this stage of the build, I'm looking for around 500-550 rwhp, and I personally think with my supporting mods that is very feasible.

The current mod list goes as the following

5x.014 Injectors built by Jeremy himself
Benched/Maxxed 215hp pump flowing just about 525ccs, worked by Phillip at Antrim Diesel in Greencastle Pa
4K Governor Springs
Full Cut Delivery Valves
Mild Port and Polish job on the head along with a valve bowl job
ARP 425 Head Studs
Mahle 286110 Pistons. Standard Bore, no reliefs.
Stock Connecting Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
Stock Polished Crank
Hamilton 182/214 Camshaft
Stock Pushrods
24 Valve Tappets
60# Valve Springs
Billet Locks and Keepers
Pusher 3.5" Intake Horn
ATS Big Foot T4 3 Piece Exhaust Manifold
Borg Warner S369SXE (Thanks to the guys at Power Driven Diesel)
S&B Cold Air Intake
4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust to 8" "Dozer" Stack

If anyone has any feedback from what they think this setup will do or anything to make it better, feel free to leave comments! I will try to upload some pictures from the building of the engine later on tonight.

Go with comp cut delivery valves or there 7mm valves instead of full cuts.

I actually forgot a few things as I was rushed typing the thread up at work. Additional mods are as followed

Airdog 150 Kit with dual feed into the pump
Valair Street Dual Disk (650hp)
1 3/8 Input Shaft
Valair Upgraded Hydraulics.

I've also been debating on getting rid of the full cuts, but I'd like to see how it runs with the whole new setup before I change anything like that. If I don't like it, I have no problem selling a part and putting something better into it.

I'd use the 286210 pistons. The higher compression works way better on a street truck, especially with a higher performance cam.

Last edited:
Well, the 286110s are already in the engine and it's about ready to be started up hopefully by the end of the holiday weekend. So, I guess I'll have to see how these do on the street.

I'd use the 286210 pistons. The higher compression works way better on a street truck, especially with a higher performance cam.

286110 are 17:1 so I don't quite know how the 286210 can be that much better. At most they maybe 17.5:1

As I was over at Jeremy's shop last night, this piston topic came up and he found an old piston he had laying around. Neither him or I thought to take a picture of it, but the part number stamped on top was "286110" with the stampings "17/1" right underneath the part number. The 286110s are currently in the motor we built and the head is torqued down and everything, so I won't be pulling it back off to check for part numbers. I'm sure either Jeremy or I can snap a picture of the piston part numbers and post it to the thread though

On a typical .020 over rebuild, the 286110 will give you ~17:1, the 286210 will give you ~18:1. That's based on CC'ing my last motor.

We didn't take this .20 over. Correct me if I'm wrong Jeremy, but I think only about .04" was taken out of each cylinder to still be able to use standard bore pistons. I don't know if the compression ratios are the same for a standard bore piston and a .20 over piston between each different part number.

Does anyone in the 12 Valve world have any experience with the Borg Warner S369SXE turbo? The one I ordered from Todd @ Power Driven Diesel has the 69mm FMW, 80mm turbine wheel fitted into a .88 undivided T4 housing. The setup i had before with the S366SX was cast wheel with the same turbine shaft and housing. The 5x.012s spooled it alright on the street, lighting it at about 2000 rpms. Just looking for some feedback on the turbo and how it will act on the street as I will be stepping up to 5x.014s with the new turbo.

I'm curious why you're using such a big turbo for your goal. The 69mm is capable of 8-900 horsepower, if I only wanted around 500 -550 I'd be using something around a 63mm or 64mm.

Well I had the S366SX with the cast wheel, and I had the opportunity to make a few bucks by selling it and I was curious with the S369SXE so I decided to try it out. I'm going to be running 5x.014s, but if that isn't enough fuel I've got a set 5x.018s I picked up and I can see how they run together.

Well I've been playing around with the idea of running the AFC Live stage 2 system from Power Driven so I can keep it fairly clean on the street, and then have the power when needed or when some punk kid thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Haven't had first start up of the motor yet, so after everything gets broken in then it will be time to see whats working well and whats not.

Sounds like a solid build. Think you'll overshoot your goal a bit. Subscribing to hear back on that 369, although the .88 housing sounds like the worst one a guy could get for it.

Back