1997 ram 2500 47re to nv4500

Transplanted

Hi everyone I'm new to competition diesel. I am converting my 1997 ram 2500 from an automatic to a manual. I have the pedal assembly and trans. Now I am on the hunt for a bellhousing, anyone know where I can find one?

Look on Craig's list, eBay or on here...good luck with swap, I did that swap in my brother's 98 it wasn't to bad the easiest way to do it is get everything from the same model truck either from a junkyard or swap someone that wants an auto ...

Here's some things to check for when doing the sway if you didnt already. 1. You wont need an adapter, the one on the block works, IF it is a 4x4. 2. Make sure you cut out the hole in the floorboard big enough, if you go to put in the transmission and it contacts the edge of the hole and you tighten it down, it will try to pop off the shift tower. That equals poor shift characteristics, a smelly cab, and a pain in the ass. 3. The difference between the gas and diesel NV4500's is the sheath over the input shaft. Gas ones are smaller and require the V10 throw out bearing which is smaller and vice-versa. 4. Also on a swap with 4 wheel drive, make sure the tailhousing has the threaded holes for the transfer-case shifter. Just ask me some time how fun it is to drill and tap those holes without dropping the tranny LOL. 5. The automatic front driveline will NOT work no matter what you're told, i'ts too long. I'm probably missing something but can't think of it at the time. Hope that helps.

very simple swap once you have all the parts, did mine over a weekend, if ya dont have the 5 spd drive shaft youll need one or have to the the automatic shortened.

I see all this swap to stick mobiles... And I just want rid of mine.

Not sure what people are talking about with adaptor for 2wd just swapped mine and it fit to the adaptor that was on it. And just do like I did keep an eye out on Craigslist and see when someone crashes and is parting one out

I see all this swap to stick mobiles... And I just want rid of mine.

I know. I always have to shut my mouth when I see people trying to do this. I've had 2 manual trucks and hated them and got tired of breaking them so I put an auto in one and am in the process of doing the other. I will never own another manual diesel. If you want to pick your own gears put a manual valve body in it, a lock up switch, and call it a day.

Granted I like drag racing so that was part of the downfall of them but my autos have held up fine. I should also mention the slow one is between 450 and 500hp so the shock load of shifting fast/ launching is pretty severe. Everyone has a different opinion though. You and the OP should just trade everything.

Back