1998 12V White smoke after full Throttle pull

wgr73

Hey guys. I have a totally stock 98 12v 5 speed. I noticed when I accelerate and look back there is a cloud of white smoke. You think head gasket? I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it's after I let off the throttle.

Check for oil in the water, pressure in the radiator, and over heating that will give you a better idea if it is a head gasket.

Just drove 1100 miles, no overheating. I checked the radiator hose this morning and the hose was not firm so I think there is no pressure in the system. I have not checked for oil in the radiator though.

Power does seem to fall off hard after 2100 rpm, then I let off, then pooof. White smoke.

I checked it again. So there is no white smoke when I let off. Just a tad when spooling and a tiny amount in the high rpms. You think it's the turbo? It seems intermittent.

best way to check is to yank the intake tube off and check the turbo for looseness.

I have opposite issue in my 96. White smoke at idle. A lot when cold, mostly clears up when warm. 250,000mi. Has arp studs, and doesnt use a drop of coolant. Runs fine and doesn't get hot.. Just got it and I don't know the history but its pretty clean.

This a turbo issue? I'll pull intake this weekend to look for play.

I have opposite issue in my 96. White smoke at idle. A lot when cold, mostly clears up when warm. 250,000mi. Has arp studs, and doesnt use a drop of coolant. Runs fine and doesn't get hot.. Just got it and I don't know the history but its pretty clean.

This a turbo issue? I'll pull intake this weekend to look for play.

this sounds like injectors...

Power does seem to fall off hard after 2100 rpm, then I let off, then pooof. White smoke.

stock timing?

if so it will give that impression that power falls off, now your white smoke, check your turbo for shaft play or oil leaks.. my old 12v lost the hx35 and gave off lots of white smoke, and oil into the s400 thus both needing a rebuild..

head gasket, I wouldn't rule out, and finally fuel pressure, I doubt that's the issue, but nothing a gauge wont answer...

Valve guide seals leaking? Mine did some what of the same thing, put new ones in and wala good as new. You might also wanna take turbo off rebuild and put back on. The exhaust side seals on hx35s are very bad for leakin oil.

Back