1st Gen Axle Guru's chime in

Blackdog

Hillbilly Deluxe
Here is the ? Will a limited slip unit from a 2nd Gen Dana 70 fit a 1st gen dually Dana? Are the spline counts the same? Work or not work?

I am not sure if it will fit. Here is some info that may help though. The intercooled 1st gens have a dana 70U. Some earlier ones had the 70U and some had a 70HD. Not sure about 2nd gens. I know the bearings between a 70U and 70HD are different. Not sure if the carrier itself is the same or not. As far as spline count, the early 70U had 35 spline, the later intercooled ones are 32 spline. Not sure on dually either. On the axle housing it should say 70U or 70HD. Again, not sure on second gen. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I think Wesley B is right on the tube size. It should be cast into the back side of the center section some where. I think the upper right hand corner but can't remember now.

What year truck and auto or manual tranny?

As far as I know...

The 89-91 trucks with the TF727 had the 70U/71 models for the 3.07 gear. Manual trucks and 91.5-93 A518 trucks have the 70HD.

My 93 5 speed has 70U and my buddies 93 auto had 70U as well. Both are single rear wheels trucks. Both are also 32 spline. I bought a replacement axle for mine out of a 90. Its a 70U with 3.5 inch tubes and 35 spline axles. But I know of a 89 4x4 that had a 70HD in it. I think Dodge just used some of what they had laying around sometimes........

Also, what I've read is that if the hubs have studs it's a 35 spline and if they bolt to the hub they're 32 splines.

The 3.07 geared rear ends are not a dana 70, they are a dana 71. With that ratio they had to make a different case to accommodate it. They are a good highway axle, but if you are just looking for a case or a limited slip unit they are different.

The 3.07 geared rear ends are not a dana 70, they are a dana 71. With that ratio they had to make a different case to accommodate it. They are a good highway axle, but if you are just looking for a case or a limited slip unit they are different.

Ok soot for brains the title might just fit ya yet LOL the dana 61 is the Axel built for the 3.07 gear the rear is the same housing
also some second gen 24 valve trucks also have 32 spline axels (a good friend of mine is having problems with em)
find a second gen with 35ers measure the shafts and swap the whole shootin match If possible That I do not know

Dana 71 is also called Dana 70-2UA.

It has an extra machined spot at the top of the center section, just to the right of the cover.

Back