2-3 shift flare

addictedtodezel

I recently had a valve body installed from a company on this site and after it being installed I started getting a 2-3 shift flare. I've called the company a couple times, left voicemails with no calls returned. Seems like they are ignoring me so that's why I'm asking here.

Back story- My original valve body had a TransGo shift kit and with that I never had a 2-3 shift flare. Now with the new valve body it does with no other changes to the transmission? Is something wrong with the valve body or what?

It happens worse when the transmission is warm and doesn't do it when I'm hard on the throttle, only light throttle.

After it first happened I had my transmission guy go through and adjust the bands and it is still doing the same thing. If it's normal I don't really care I just don't want to toast this transmission that only has about 2,000 miles on it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
It isn't normal, that much I can tell you. What is your front band adjustment currently? What apply lever ratio do you have? I hope someone smart chimes in as I am currently chasing a very similar issue. Good luck.

You can tweak the front band adjustment to help, as well as change the apply lever.

My transmission builder set it to the companies recommended specs I believe. My apply lever is the one DTT sells 4.2:1 I believe? What does everyone think the 2nd gear band should be set to? My builder set it to the front band being 5/16 play and the reverse band 3/8 play.

I would tighten that band 1/2 a turn and try it.
It could also be a front clutch seal bad. That is 3rd gear. If it is a leaking front clutch seal it would be slow to apply, which the timing of everything would let the front band release. 5/16 is too loose in my opinion. Go for a 1/4 inch.
Also if you have the VB out look to see if there is a restrictor in the apply hole for 3rd.

I'll see if he will tighten it. Is it possible something cracked or a seal blew like you said from the added pressures of this valve body? Reason I ask is because it seemed to drive fine for the first 5-10 miles before this happened.

Everything in the transmission only has about 2,000 miles. Since its doing it worse when the transmission is warmed up I'm thinking the band is to lose like y'all said.

I think they are tightened to 70 ish inch lbs then backed off. I'll have to look up the specs.

Just had it tightened 1/2 a turn and it's much, much better. Still a slight flare about ~50rpms or so but thats better than the 300 rpm flare I was getting. Think I'll have it turned another quarter turn.

I'm just confused why the original band adjustment didn't work with this valve body.

I would check to make sure urnot too tight. You will burn the band up.

I thought it wouldn't shift to well if the band was to tight? Any signs I would notice of it being to tight other than it starting to slip?

I haven't seen any noticeable gains in transmission temperatures so would it be safe to say I could go another 1/4 turn?

I haven't seen any noticeable gains in transmission temperatures so would it be safe to say I could go another 1/4 turn?

I've gone as far as snug then backed up 1.5 turns and never had an issue, but I do run a flex band. I don't think you can get away with such a tight initial setting with a rigid band.

Looks like the clearances in my direct clutch pack isn't right so I guess I'm screwed unless the transmission comes out, which isn't happening any time soon.

Back