2.6 puller/street cam opinions?

He's at least contributing to the thread :poke:

He also contributed to "Promoting Diesel Motorsports" by recommending the Hypermax rail should not be awarded the NHRDA Top Diesel Record due to weight regulations of different governing organization.

In my opinion this act alone warrants me to keep Greg from touting about how important and special he is. He represents the low of the low, Greg Hogue "Racing on other's Money".

He also contributed to "Promoting Diesel Motorsports" by recommending the Hypermax rail should not be awarded the NHRDA Top Diesel Record due to weight regulations of different governing organization.

In my opinion this act alone warrants me to keep Greg from touting about how important and special he is. ".

funny your spreading untrue rumors.
is that the best come back you can have. can't you add to the thread, next your be going after my spelling.

so you deal is to derail any thread , where people would like to get a little infomation

Greg Hogue "Racing on other's Money".

you act like thats a bad thing. funny beside GBE , I was more them 50% of the funding on all of my programs. money, parts, and time.

Last edited:
You can tell yourself it didn't happen, if you want to.

As far as your "theories", I do not disagree with many things you say, unfortunately. Yet you believe that every instance is the same ie; drag racing, sled pulling, gas, diesel. Problem is you don't understand the differences, I can assure you that the other 99% of sled pulling setups are different regarding cam/compression selection, as well as 100% of the setups that won national events this year.

The programs I am supplying engineering and cams to are mostly 2.6 sled pullers, and one in the DPC. The advice they are getting is based on my many years of advanced systematic engine development I’m getting really good feedback, and plenty of request for help.

Highest hp Pro Stock diesel engine in the Country > 4.4hp per cubic inch on a single turbocharger and it runs a 106.5LSA camshaft. More years of advanced systematic engine development than you have in stroking your own ego, and they pay for it all themselves.

try 3 hp per cube on gasoline with no turbocharger , and just carburators.

your one of those that dosen't understand cam development , LSA has zero to do with cam design
again I don't even look at LSA ( lobe center angle ) duration, overlap or Intake lobe center line. those are used for advertising.

Did you say thay lope will not be a concern? Since when did cams make diesels lope?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

they don't.......

even my biggestdiesel cam dosen't lope. Lope in a cam is from the reversion causing the carb to not get a signal. last I looked diesels didn't have a carb.

lobe center angle , the angle between the intake and exhaust lobe centerline.

camdiagram1.jpg

camshaftplot.jpg

Last edited:

. Again, you think the same principles fit every appication.

The reality is that I use the same principals on every engine program. There are four basic points that truly matter in a cam development program. life is dictated by cylinder head flow, and agressiveness of the profile is based on the engine use.

The open of the intake event, close of the intake event, open of the exhaust event and closing of the exhaust event.

I evaluate what a particular cam program is doing in the application. I make changes based on dyno time, and performance on the track, or pull. When I make the decision that the engine wants something different, then I make changes to one event, usually the intake closing event.

So let look at your theories that only one LSA (108) is valid in a diesel.

Let’s start with a base line grind that I start with a particular cylinder head, turbo charger program.
Let’s say it runs really good, takes up throttle really good down low spools the chargers easly , and moves air really good. Let’s say it has a 210 intake event on a 108 LSA the cam is in at 105 intake lobe center line. We like what the exhaust is doing so we leave it alone.
The only event let's change is the closure of the intake event. Lets close the intake valve 20 degree later. this allows the motor to capture more air at higher rpm's

So its basically the exact cam with the exception your leaving the intake open longer, wow the LSA is now 113, and the intake lobe center line is now 115.
Do this 10 times on a engine dyno, which I’ve been doing, and you will learn a lot about what a pedicure engine wants.

I see some of my cams this time next year being on 12o or 122 LSA.

Last edited:
I don't think you realize what you are explaining has been done, on the track and dyno long before you ever came around a diesel engine. Yet none of the guys winning in the pulling side of things are doing this.

Do this 10 times on a engine dyno, which I’ve been doing, and you will learn a lot about what a pedicure engine wants.

Now you should realize the pedicure engine(particular engine for those of us that speak English), will gain hp but lose torque. Again, you've said this on multiple occasions about tuning around torque. Well my friend, if you think torque is detrimental to winning in sled pulling, I believe you should find your way to a 300ft dirt track once in a while and see how it all works.

The reality is that I use the same principals on every engine program. There are four basic points that truly matter in a cam development program. life is dictated by cylinder head flow, and agressiveness of the profile is based on the engine use.

The open of the intake event, close of the intake event, open of the exhaust event and closing of the exhaust event.

I evaluate what a particular cam program is doing in the application. I make changes based on dyno time, and performance on the track, or pull. When I make the decision that the engine wants something different, then I make changes to one event, usually the intake closing event.

So let look at your theories that only one LSA (108) is valid in a diesel.

Let’s start with a base line grind that I start with a particular cylinder head, turbo charger program.
Let’s say it runs really good, takes up throttle really good down low spools the chargers easly , and moves air really good. Let’s say it has a 210 intake event on a 108 LSA the cam is in at 105 intake lobe center line. We like what the exhaust is doing so we leave it alone.
The only event let's change is the closure of the intake event. Lets close the intake valve 20 degree later. this allows the motor to capture more air at higher rpm's

So its basically the exact cam with the exception your leaving the intake open longer, wow the LSA is now 113, and the intake lobe center line is now 115.

I see some of my cams this time next year being on 12o or 122 LSA.

That all makes sense on paper.....and i see your point. BUT big singles like overlap. its been proven on the dyno time and time again. flat tappet and roller tappet. if your doing a lot of 2.6 stuff i.e (big inefficient single) the dyno shows time and time again on the mechanical engines that intake overlap scavenges and drives the turbine. You get your mind wrapped around just the intake event. i think that is the biggest problem with all diesel enthusiasts including myself....cram all the air in you want but if you cant get it out then your backpeddling. maybe you should focus some dyno time on getting the exhaust flow up. not just cam duration and adding laziness. exhaust ports are the most restrictive part on these engines. your idea applies to alcohol engines but our cylinder heads are way behind the alcohol stuff. claim all the cfm numbers you want and say velocity doesnt matter. "our heads flow 300cfm" really doesnt tell anyone anything. its just a number. Have any idea how many cc the port or chamber is? doubt any diesel guy can answer that. if your theory is correct then why doesnt any of the hamilton heads work? because I personally have spent a lot of time on the flowbench with this port. its big, low velocity, and low swirl compared to the good lightly ported cast heads.

I'll take hp in any situation any time over torque

here is a few video's of trucks at ultra high rpms running high compression and my cam programs

here is two cummins and one Dmax ,

In Cab of Hell Fire 2.6 truck - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJusGIdTveU&feature=player_embedded"]Megatron at the Missouri State Fair - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5SpbENBOc"]Dan pulling @ Waukesha, WI 7-18-12 1st Place Finish - YouTube[/ame]

That all makes sense on paper.....and i see your point. BUT big singles like overlap. its been proven on the dyno time and time again. flat tappet and roller tappet. if your doing a lot of 2.6 stuff i.e (big inefficient single) the dyno shows time and time again on the mechanical engines that intake overlap scavenges and drives the turbine. You get your mind wrapped around just the intake event. i think that is the biggest problem with all diesel enthusiasts including myself....cram all the air in you want but if you cant get it out then your backpeddling. maybe you should focus some dyno time on getting the exhaust flow up. not just cam duration and adding laziness. exhaust ports are the most restrictive part on these engines. your idea applies to alcohol engines but our cylinder heads are way behind the alcohol stuff. claim all the cfm numbers you want and say velocity doesnt matter. "our heads flow 300cfm" really doesnt tell anyone anything. its just a number. Have any idea how many cc the port or chamber is? doubt any diesel guy can answer that. if your theory is correct then why doesnt any of the hamilton heads work? because I personally have spent a lot of time on the flowbench with this port. its big, low velocity, and low swirl compared to the good lightly ported cast heads.

Talk about knock it out of he park, couldn't agree more. My testing last year backs that up entirely.

Last edited:
The high end chargers will still move more air, then the box chargers even with good head work and cam. Not only that, but typically if a guy has $4K+ to spend on a charger, he probably already has the head and the cam too.

JSP did a back to back stock to 188/220 cam swap, same day, same dyno, same truck, and made 0 more horsepower, and 0 quicker spooling. Lost a few degrees egt, and a little bit of boost. This was at just over 1000hp, and he has enough fuel for at least 1500hp. All of the dyno sheets, and data logs are posted here on compd somewhere.

This. I trust JSP's data and methods

I'm certain my oem cam isn't going to be in perfect condition when it comes out. So i need to buy one. i hesitate to get a stock one, however I won't go crazy big and exotic on the aftermarket. just enough to handle a stock intake and light exhaust porting to ease up on the egts and lower boost a little while reducing stress on the turbos.

And that is where you don't understand.

Let's face it Greg, no matter how many people disagree with what you say, you still believe you can do no wrong. Discussing this will lead nowhere, you will pull out the same pictures, use the same lines we have all heard time and time again with relevance to nothing about this topic.

Here are some facts; a good group of guys went and built a diesel rail, set and backed up a new NHRDA record, all without you and or your ideas. They did it with their own budget, and without patting themselves on the back on the internet.

I understand you are concerned that big heavy antiquated technology will show you the back tire, but you have to show up to have a chance. So Mr. Diesel Motorsports promoter of the ages, what you should really think about is; being a Man and publically apologizing to Jerry, Marty, and the whole Hypermax crew. I'm sure everyone can let bygones be bygones, or you can just keep pumping Kool Aid.

This makes zero logical sense.

Ya know, measuring torque is useless.... if one "has more torque" you just happen to have more hp too. Weird concept right?

Did you say thay lope will not be a concern? Since when did cams make diesels lope?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Well incase you don't have the ability to read the whole thread i really generalized this build and its slowly falling into place but i said lope will not be an issue did i say it was caused by the cam? I really was looking for opinions on the whole build not just the cam....the lope perhaps is caused by anyone of these things lines,tubes,injectors,ppump is that possible? but i dont know what a ppump truck sounds like :hehe: never heard one before just at the track a few thousand times i'll just turn the idle down to get it to lope yeeehaw:rockwoot:...not....contribute would ya, thanks.

Back