2.6 street diesel

Im confused why wouldnt a regular micromiter gauge work? just open it up and close on the outsides of the top and bottom of the wheel.

Hooray! I did my math right!!!

Manufacturers listen up! Build us 2.60" 'chargers for the sled trucks.

Oh wait, that's what an S465 opening measures... :hehe:

Most rules state measuring at the wheel ,also they say and use a plug but it has come into play were a plug may fall in but measuring the wheel tip2 tip it passed

Hpefully my brother's will pass! But i guess he wont find out until schied!

Im confused why wouldnt a regular micromiter gauge work? just open it up and close on the outsides of the top and bottom of the wheel.

Because 180 degrees opposite the one blade, which would be the true diameter, there is no other blade to measure against because the number of blades is not even.

If you go from blade tip to blade tip on a 7-blade wheel, you are measuring a chord that is smaller than the true diameter...because that chord does not go through the center of the wheel.

Draw it out on a piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.

Also remember that at the front of the wheel where we are all talking about, there is no "rim", just pointy blade tips.

Yeah, exactly. Same thing with the fellow I was helping, except it was in the pre-season.

The bad part is, II told the customer before he bought it "absolutely no problem, it'll pass." It was obvious that they hadn't measured it.

Maybe it's just me, but dammit, the people selling turbos should know better than this. They don't have a drawing and a spec??? Geeminy Christmas.

Ended up going with an alternate II charger, and even then it took several weeks of confusion and tussling with II to get the new piece.

One of the folks at II said they could shave a SB wheel and machine the housing to fit it just right, but commented that it "would be one surging bastard."

I'm knew to all this, so what's the key to getting a 2.6 turbo that will pass when hot? I have to agree don't they have tolerance? Do you have to order a turbo, and keep rejecting until you get one that will pass or what? I would have never thought to measure that. I would have assumed that their maching would be well within that .05". That seemed like a mile to me.

pulling the housing might keep people more honest

Last edited:
pulling the housing might keep people more honest

Back to the issue of not having something to measure. One option might be instead of a plug, have a receiver, if the tips of the blades won't fit inside then the charger is too big. Of course this means pulling the cover.

I'm knew to all this, so what's the key to getting a 2.6 turbo that will pass when hot? I have to agree don't they have tolerance? Do you have to order a turbo, and keep rejecting until you get one that will pass or what? I would have never thought to measure that. I would have assumed that their maching would be well within that .05". That seemed like a mile to me.

Well, if I was buying one, I'd just contact the supplier and say that I want a charger with an inducer bore at 2.630" max. And I'd just make it a stipulation that they would take the charger back and pay return shipping if it does not pass a 2.630" plug when I inspect it myself straight out of the box.

And I'd have the whole conversation documented with e-mails so it doesn't turn into the he-said-she-said-BS.

It's really a simple issue. If the supplier doesn't seem really bright about their products on the phone, try another supplier. You see several mentions on here of Industrial Injection having repeated issues, so if you deal with them, buyer beware.

Or, alternately, you could buy a used charger, and send it to a pro turbo house, like Columbus Diesel Supply or others, that do this stuff all the time and know exactly what to do.

thermal expansion does have a direct relationship to surface area. in that the larger the surface area the more it will expand. you are right for a given material will only expand a certain amount. say a 1in sqaure will expand so much. a 4in sqaure will expand more

You should never plug a turbo hot. Any tech person should know that. compresser housings will grow when hot they should always be pluged cold befor the pull. I try to plug guys befor they get of the trailer.

thermal expansion does have a direct relationship to surface area. in that the larger the surface area the more it will expand. you are right for a given material will only expand a certain amount. say a 1in sqaure will expand so much. a 4in sqaure will expand more

WRONG

The CTE is linear. That's why it is in units of inch expansion per inch...not square inch.

Well wouldn't 4" expand to 4.4??
WHere 1" would expand to 1.1?

Well wouldn't 4" expand to 4.4??
WHere 1" would expand to 1.1?

Yes, but you're speaking of linear dimensions, like length, diameter, etc.

So for example, when heating a piece of pipe, its diameter gets larger. It also lengthens. But one is not dependent on the other - so no matter how long the pipe is, the diameter grows the same amount.

Each linear dimension of the part grows according to the delta T, and nothing else.

So to say one dimensional change is dependent on another, is false.

Yes, the growth is more (in an absolute terms) on larger parts, but the % growth is all the same. Saying one grows "more" than another is kinda looking at it in the wrong way.

Like say the boss makes $50/hr and gets a $5/hr raise, and the worker makes $20/hr and gets a $3.00 raise. Who gets "more"? Unless you look at the percentages, you can fool yourself.

Last edited:
Hooray! I did my math right!!!

Manufacturers listen up! Build us 2.60" 'chargers for the sled trucks.

Oh wait, that's what an S465 opening measures... :hehe:

The last S465 I ordered measured 2.95" right out of the box :doh: Still waiting to see what the next one measures...

At this rate I'll barely be ready for next season...:bang

You should never plug a turbo hot. Any tech person should know that. compressor housings will grow when hot they should always be plugged cold before the pull. I try to plug guys before they get of the trailer.

im not going to plug 70 to 80 trucks when we only tech the top 5. not sure how it works in other areas but we usually have several guys running that can barely get to the sled let alone get teched first.

besides why not tech hot? the bores grow but that is the actual working diameter.

ted

400* increase the is .013" make a 2.64 a 2.653" if the said plug was mad out of say metal as the turbo and same temp. then probly wouldnt fit. if the said plug is 2.650" and at ambient temp it would aurguable fit in the bore.

Had this happen to us this year, was tech right after it hooked and plug fit but when charger was allowed to cool it didn't fit. Never even thought about it at the time. Also thinner the cover the more it will expand at same temp as a cover with twice the material...:doh::bang

ordered my s465 with a 2.6 66mm wheel, failed tech last week, wtf the wheel measures fine it was the shrouded compressor cover.

Back