2" drop pitman arm

SAK

I'm going fast mama.
I'm looking for a 2 " drop pitman arm for an 05 F-250 4x4. I'm sick and tired of having this wondering problem with my truck. The problem I'm having is that theres a lot of "play" in the steering wheel(turn left to right and the tires dont move). I didn't have this problem before the leveling kit(2.5 DR installed by Truck Toyz). Took it back to Truck Toyz and they said there was a TSB on the gear box, so back to the dealer it went. Got it back and said it was readjusted and within "spec". Still had "play" in it so I took it back to Truck Toyz and they drove it and put it up on the lift to check to see if anything was loose. Nothing loose. Was told thats the way its going to be. Asked Marty if a drop pitman are would help and told me no, it would screw up the "geometry" of the suspension parts and that the kit is so well engineered it didn't need it. Well if I raised it 2.5" didn't that already screw it up? So why putting a 2" drop on it to bring it back to .5" of stock screw it up? So if anyone knows where I can get one that would be great.

if you do a drop pitman arm you have to drop the track bar also so they are on the same plane or you will have bump steer.

kasey200 said:
if you do a drop pitman arm you have to drop the track bar also so they are on the same plane or you will have bump steer.

Yep, you need to do both at the same time.

Have you had the truck aligned at all?

DCSpecial said:
Have you had the truck aligned at all?

About 5 times

I can deal with bump steer, I'm tired of it looking like I'm driving drunk during the day cause the truck wonders so much.

answer this....how well does the wheel return to center ?

if you stick your head out the window while parked, and crank the wheel slightly left to right, about how much does the wheel move before the tires start to move?

Did you lift the rear any also?

that is a concern...thats my question on the return to center....whether the cams were installed or not; and also why i asked about the rear being lifted.

When I make a u turn, the wheel will come back to 90* off then will jump to 45* off and will center very slow(have to bring it back to center to stay in the lane).

Sitting in the truck with my head out the window it will move about 3 inches from center to when the wheels will start to move, so 6 inches over all back and forth in play.

They put some silver looking deals some where in the front. Don't know if those are the cams or not. Yes the rear of the truck was lifted, took the stock block out and put a 4" in place.

I must agree with Marty on this one...your problem is before you ever get to the pitman arm. Its in the steering shaft/power steering box or steering gear backlash.

Steering geometry (drop pitman arm) will not cure dead spots in the wheel. In addition, it will screw up the bumpsteer geometry, as you do not have a dropped trac bar bracket.

I do recommend adjustable trac bars for those kits, but dont think it has anything to do with your issue.

Its a bad steering setup from the factory from ford. Either they didnt touch it when you took it in, or you have a bad box.

i have the same problem, i have about 4 inches total of play at the wheel, put the truck on the lift and you can see the steering shaft moving alot before the pitman arm starts to move, but the truck drives dead center down the highway if i let go of the wheel, i believe i need a new box. is there any adjustments???

This is an interesting thread, I have the same problem on my dodge and was thinking the exact same thing...what would be the best resolution to the problem?

I took the truck in yesterday and they replaced the whole gear box. DRIVES STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW NOW.

Back