2 nearly identical chargers with different compressor inlet (gasser related)

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
A friend of mine runs crew for NMRA small block turbo car that is new to their team this year as they always ran a nitrous big cube set-up before.

In whatever class they're in they run the midframe precision stuff and recently alot of guys have been dropping from 88mm to 85mm units because there is a small weight break for the 85mm inlet guys. Now these chargers are identical cartridges and turbine sides, and even the exducer on the comp wheel is the same, only change is 85 vs 88mm inducer and inlet. He said the 85mm cars are now putting it on the rest of the class, and by alot more than just the weight advantage would give them. He said some of their competitors who are friends have stated that the change from 88 to 85mm has netted them 5-6psi more boost, and they are now running out the back end 4-5mph higher than the 88mm cars.

He said it just doesn't make sense to them being that everything else about the charger is identical. They are hoping to find out for themselves soon how much of a difference it will make as they are adding a few inches to the motor and dropping to the 85mm since the car came apart on them last time out.

Those turbos have different compressor covers don't they?

Last edited:
Those turbos have different compressor covers don't they?

i couldn't tell you. from the info he gives me everything is identical except the inlet bore and inducer on the wheel.

A different comp cover with a different a/r would make sense as to why the smaller charger is making more boost on the same engine and therefore more power.

Back