20 degree timing dyno results

Artie.D

Hi everyone,

First off I'm new to this forum so I would like to introduce myself. Sorry i haven't updated my sig.
I have a 97 12v 5 speed with #10 plate spectre filter and 5"tbe and ran 244/454 to the wheels. I advanced the timing to 20 degrees and went up to 306/519.
1. Is this normal or could i get more power out of 19 or 21 degrees instead?
2. Is taking out the fuel plate a smart idea or would I half to upgrade the turbo to balance it out? How much power could I gain with no plate?

I think for a daily driver, you are at a good stopping point on timing. Have you changed governor springs in your pump? I would keep a fuel plate in the pump. You could slide fuel plate ahead, but keep eye on exhaust temps. Keep in mind that your clutch will not like this extra power. You could go to a little bigger injector, but I would stay away from the 370 marine injectors. You can always go to 4" exhaust, and a different turbo if you are after more power down the road.

I have the stock governor springs but I have a 13 inch valair ceramic kevlar single disk clutch. Even though it's rated for 500/1000 I still stress out about it considering I had both the stock clutch and the lux pro gold clutch fail on me. Sometimes I feel the gas pedal more loose and the clutch not grabbing as hard. Is this the clutch adjusting to the heat or is it starting to wear out. I also heard riding the clutch and bogging it is hard on it, so I pretty much chirp the tires every time I let it out. Is tis good or bad?

welcome to the forum, Artie. You can fill out your signature, and tell us more about your truck and what you are trying to do with it. The more info you give to us, the better we can help you.

Unbolt your clutch cylinder and make sure your clutch fork has a little free travel. I installed a South Bend dual disk in my truck a few years ago and clutch slipped after installing it. I had removed the washer below the pivot ball, but did not get a modified clutch fork. After installing modified fork, I got my free travel and reinstalled everything. All was fine after that.

Back