2000 auto trans problems

I am looking to buy a 2000 qcsb 225k. the problem is, it is stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. The guy took it to a trans shop and they said it checked out fine. I'm betting that they didn't take it for a ride with a scan tool. He will sell it to me for $5500 as is, so I am wondering if it is worth the hassle for the price and also what might be a couple ideas on what to look at first?

How can it be "stuck in a gear," but still check out fine?LOL

I take it you haven't seen this thing in person? Looking at it yourself and getting more details would be good.

I did see it, feels like it's in 2nd gear to me, won't boost up either. I didn't drive it on the street due to time restraints, but I am going back again tomorrow to check it out closer.

If its in limp mode it will stay in 3rd, "usually" means bad gov solenoid or transducer. Try shifting it manually and see if you have all the gears

Governor pressure sensor and solenoid have a tendency to act up and do some goofy things, but the trans shop should've caught that. When you go to test drive it, manually put it down in low and see what happens.

If its in limp mode it will stay in 3rd, "usually" means bad gov solenoid or transducer. Try shifting it manually and see if you have all the gears

I tried shifting it down manually when I was trying to get it to boost, but I need to drive it...Tomorrow I am going to take it on the street.

Looks like the truck has a few codes...It has a couple MAP sensor codes that I'm not too worried about, probably because it had a chip on it, and someone stole it and didn't hook it back up. Now the other two, one is P0753 and the other is P1765, the first one sounds like it will be needing either a new relay, or solenoid. Now the 1765 code is the one I'm confused about. It is possible this truck has a torque converter lock up switch, would that cause the 1765 code??? I can't find any info on this issue.

Back