2001 7.3 shut off while driving

StrokerSmoker73

Was driving down the road and noticed my truck sounded like it was running rough. Wentdown the hill and turned around to head back to the house and on the way up the hill the truck started to spit and sputter. I put the truck in neutral and coasted and tried to rev it up and it was still spittin and sputtering then it shut off. Truck will crank completly fine just wont fire up. Changed CPS and tested fuel pressure, its at 60psi at fuel bowl. What could cause this my buddy said it might be the hpop. We scanned it and nothing came up on the scan.

Injector "o" rings will cause a no start. Take valve covers off and turn over, look for oil puddling up around base of injectors

Was driving down the road and noticed my truck sounded like it was running rough. Wentdown the hill and turned around to head back to the house and on the way up the hill the truck started to spit and sputter. I put the truck in neutral and coasted and tried to rev it up and it was still spittin and sputtering then it shut off.

Did you check the oil level?

I just put a hpop gauge on it today and im reading 0 psi while cranking, i know i got to have at least 500psi to start the truck. So is there any other possibilities that it could be?

I unplugged the ipr, that should send the truck into a generic mode and the hpop should work, but even if the ipr or ipc was bad the hpop should still create some preasure while cranking right?

ICP disconnected the truck should go into default mode. Truck shouldn't run with the IPR disconnected. 0 ICP is bad no matter what though. Does the guage build engine oil pressure during cranking?

Last edited:
I unplugged the ipr, that should send the truck into a generic mode and the hpop should work, but even if the ipr or ipc was bad the hpop should still create some preasure while cranking right?

Don't unplug the IPR.

ICP can be unplugged to test. If it starts and runs with ICP unplugged, but won't when it's plugged back in, you found the culprit.

If unplugging the ICP does nothing, then check the oil level in the HPOP reservoir. If theres oil in there, most likely it's a bad IPR stuck wide open not letting the HPOP build pressure. Far less common is a failed HPOP.

Back