2001 Chevy rear drive shaft fitment between years?????

Nickscott89

I recently bought a duramax and am new to them as i have always had cummins, the tcase was leaking at the rear output shaft because the rear drive shaft is too short because its lifted, the truck is ext cab short bed. I found a drive shaft out of an 04 ext cab long bed and was wondering if it will work and wether or not if its steel or aluminum matters and what I need to look for. Basically I am buying it and maybe it will be corect length but if not I am gonna have it cut and balanced because its cheaper to shorten than to lengthen.

I recently bought a duramax and am new to them as i have always had cummins, the tcase was leaking at the rear output shaft because the rear drive shaft is too short because its lifted, the truck is ext cab short bed. I found a drive shaft out of an 04 ext cab long bed and was wondering if it will work and wether or not if its steel or aluminum matters and what I need to look for. Basically I am buying it and maybe it will be corect length but if not I am gonna have it cut and balanced because its cheaper to shorten than to lengthen.

FYI, am ECSB shaft is around 61"ckits, where the ECLB shaft is around 74" ckits. So it will definitely need to be shortened. The ECLB shaft will be aluminum. Once shortened to 61" it will be somewhat stronger than the stock driveshaft which is 3.5" .065 wall steel.

As a general rule, the ECSB trucks with 1410 series shafts dont need the driveshaft lengthened for most lift kits.

Back