2002 jetta tdi stumble @ 2000rpm

huntduck

I've asked for help over on tdi forum and haven't gotten much. So, thought I'd try here.

Driving my car down the highway, if I keep it around 2000 rpm you can feel the engine stumble. At first I thought it was a fuel filter, changed that, still the same. I drove around with the MAF sensor unplugged, no difference. For grins a did install a new MAF sensor. I was messing around with it in my driveway and just free revved it, as it was idling down it acted like it had a hung injector, the rpms bounced and blew some black smoke.

I put some fuel injector in it and I've put on as many miles as I can. The problem has gotten better....almost gone. So, I'm leaning towards a set of injectors?

I don't have a VCDS cable and it has never threw a check engine light. Starts and idles fine. Looking for some ideas here! Thanks for the help.

with the weather i wonder if the Injector Quantity could be far enough off its creating a stutter. My golf would do it really bad and I still haven't gotten the issue fixed yet. Car has been at paint for 6 months LOL

I would get someone with a VCDS before replacing anything else or your going at it in the dark and guessing. I have one but I'm probably not close to you.

I probably should just buy one. Thought I'd see what some of the thoughts are here before I do.

After the cleaner, it has improved greatly. Can you adjust the quantity with the vcds?

yes sir, sell you mine so i can upgrade it. i have the kii-usb one iirc which will work on yours. not the CAN one but I need to upgrade due to having customers with newer cars.

Sorry hightech.....I just ordered the HEX-CAN USB cable.

Gonna look around online tonight and see if I can find anything that explains how to use it. Ross - tech has some info on their website.

I've asked for help over on tdi forum and haven't gotten much. So, thought I'd try here.

Driving my car down the highway, if I keep it around 2000 rpm you can feel the engine stumble. At first I thought it was a fuel filter, changed that, still the same. I drove around with the MAF sensor unplugged, no difference. For grins a did install a new MAF sensor. I was messing around with it in my driveway and just free revved it, as it was idling down it acted like it had a hung injector, the rpms bounced and blew some black smoke.

I put some fuel injector in it and I've put on as many miles as I can. The problem has gotten better....almost gone. So, I'm leaning towards a set of injectors?

I don't have a VCDS cable and it has never threw a check engine light. Starts and idles fine. Looking for some ideas here! Thanks for the help.

On the TDI forum look in search for Franks injectors.
I called him told him I wanted my injectors rebuilt.
He sent me a set to use while he rebuilt mine, no down time.
I paid nothing until mine were sent back.

How many miles on the injectors? How many miles on the fuel filter? How cold is it when this happens? See where I'm going with this line of questioning?

I'm picking up what you're putting down! Haha

I just got this 2 months ago used. Unknown maintenence history. The car has 240k, I assume the injectors are original. The filter I just changed 300 miles ago. But, before that?? Weather temp was cold when it first did it, like 10 degrees. But car was at operating temp. Doesn't seem to matter what temp it is, car or weather, I haven't found it to be consistent in that regard.

I'm picking up what you're putting down! Haha

I just got this 2 months ago used. Unknown maintenence history. The car has 240k, I assume the injectors are original. The filter I just changed 300 miles ago. But, before that?? Weather temp was cold when it first did it, like 10 degrees. But car was at operating temp. Doesn't seem to matter what temp it is, car or weather, I haven't found it to be consistent in that regard.

All right, carry on. I hate seeing guys go complex when the solution could be simple. I've been out of the ALH scene far to long to be of much use.

I appreciate the help either way. I did some changing with the injected quantity...I'm going for drive. Like I said before, I think a set of injectors are needed.

The injected quantity was under 3.0....actually 2.7. Bumped it up to 5.5. I tried to get it closer to 5.0 but no luck. Took it for a drive. Drives better......I'll play it by ear for now

Update. Car ran good for a couple days. Yesterday coming home, the stumble came back. Checked the IQ and it was 4.8-5.0. No codes. As far as I can tell everything looked good with VCDS.

Any other ideas before I order injectors?

injectors. I personally used fly by wire for all the injectors. They are doing my race 520s set at a stage 3 pressure. They do kermas injectors and a lot of other places. I know frank does good too. I would get a set of titan 502 nozzles while your at it or something comparable. better spray pattern and a little more power. If you can drive it right you will get better mileage.

I thought I'd read that.........I was going to go thru AArodriguez for injectors, tune, exhaust, egr crap. I've read good things about him.......but, I'm open to others

Lol......he's not local to me. Other side of the country! I think there is a shop in Boise? That's somewhat local.

Where are you located?

Never bought injectors from AARodriguez, but he is local to "home" to me and was very helpful in troubleshooting my remote in person a while back.

I bought my injectors from DBWLLC.net and I am very pleased. I went with the DLC 1019, but you will likely want something quite smaller. He sent out the balance sheet with them as well.

Back